• Show
Clear All
  • kenh
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2007

Raised Panel Bit, which one to buy?

Hi all,
    I have totally novice level questions.
    I would like to buy the first raised panel bit set but am not sure which one to buy. I would like to use it for making small drawer front as the first project.
    Question one
    1) I guess there are bits with different diameters. Which size is appropriate (or versatile) for relatively small panels (such as drawers with a little over 1 foot width)?

2) Some bits seem to have backcutters but are more expensive. Is it worth while to invest into the backcutters?

Any comment will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

1. Whatever pleases your eyes. Most are around 2.5-3.25" total, so 1/2 that is the approximate size of the cut. I think my 3" has about a 1 3/8" cut. Looks good to me.

2. I don't personally care for back cutters, I like to raise the bit in small increments as I'm cutting the panel, and you cannot do that with back cutters. (unless you remove the back cutter) It takes a little bit more time, but I route a rabbet on the back first, so that it'll fit flush with the rail and stile, then raise the front of the panel until it fits snugly into the rails and stiles.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

you need to decide on the profile.
      Then on whether you want a vertical or horizontal bit.

Backcutter if you aren't doing a lot I would just skip.
      You can just make the backcut, if you even need/want one, in a separate step.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-11-2007, 09:25 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ragswl4
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Winchester, Ca
        • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by kenh
        Hi all,
        I have totally novice level questions.
        I would like to buy the first raised panel bit set but am not sure which one to buy. I would like to use it for making small drawer front as the first project.
        Question one
        1) I guess there are bits with different diameters. Which size is appropriate (or versatile) for relatively small panels (such as drawers with a little over 1 foot width)?

2) Some bits seem to have backcutters but are more expensive. Is it worth while to invest into the backcutters?

Any comment will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Backcutters are used to make the back of a panel flush with the stile and rails on the backside of a door or panel and it reduces the amount of the raised portion that extends about the rail and stile on the front of the door.

So if you are using 3/4" wood to make the stile/rail and panel and want the front of the panel to be flush with the surface of the stile/rail then a backcutter will accomplish that. If you want the raised panel to extend above the stile/rail then a backcutter is not the bit you want.

Before you purchase any bit I suggest that you check the height of the bit including the backcutter, the portion that fits into the stile/rail and the height of the raised portion of the bit and ensure this fits your needs.
        RAGS
        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
        sigpic

Comment

• kenh
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2007

Thanks!!

Thank you guys.
          Since I did not get any response for a while, I was thinking that I asked too stupid questions...well, I think I did. So, (thank you)2 for taking your time and giving suggestions!!
          Ken

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

There are some midsize and even small panel raisers from various suppliers that look appropriate on smaller panels. There's even a plunge panel raiser that just gives the appearance of a raised panel from one solid panel.
            Last edited by Knottscott; 11-29-2008, 07:28 AM.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• tjmac44
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2006
              • Omaha, Nebraska

Holbren has great service and very reasonable prices. Evens offers a discount for BT3 members.

Raised panel bits:

Whiteside router bits, Byrd shelix jointer and planer cutterheads, saw blades and other woodworking cutting tools from holbren.com

I had a problem with a bit, broke the panel raiser bit, though it was probably user error, he had another bit to me in 3 days.

I have made one raised panel door. One suggestion, pratice on pine or a cheap wood first. I mean mock the entire door. Post on this board if you have problems with the mock.

Good Luck.

Todd
              Todd

Grounded in fly-over country.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

I would recommend a Freud set for a beginner. They come with great instructions, a little DVD for computer to explain everything, etc. Freud bits are pretty decent as well.

I like full height raised panels so I never mess with back cutters.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I usually get my router bits from MLCS. I find their bits to be a good value and I like the free shipping.

For simple drawer fronts, they also sell bits to put an edge around 3/4 inch wide on a door or drawer front. I use one that puts a tapered cut, like a raised panel, plus a slight round over. Might be another option.

Jim

Comment

Working...