• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zedzeo
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2004
    • Atlanta, GA.

Storing power tools outside?

I’m new to the board and woodworking. I just bought my first semi-stationary power tool, a delta miter saw from lowes. The thing is that I live in an apartment and will be using it mostly out on my third floor porch. I was wondering if leaving it outside on the porch was an option. It’s out is the rain, but this is Georgia and when hurricanes aren’t approaching, it’s really humid. There is a storage closet also out on the porch that I can store the saw in if I am not using it for long periods of time. Will this be okay, or should I bring the saw inside the apartment for storage? Is there a proper environment to store power tools to ensure that they last?

And for that matter, does anyone have any tips for apartment woodworking?[]

thanks,
    farhan.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

rain - no
    closet - well, ok
    inside - better
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jethro
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Newark, DE, USA.

Farhan, unless the saw is unusually large and/or you have great difficulty lifting it, keep it indoors. It doesn't take long for cast iron tools to rust in damp, humid conditions.

--------------------
      jethro.
      <font size=\"1\">Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. -- <i>Heinlein</i>
      http://www.jeffriegner.com</font id=\"size1\">

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I think you made a typo and really meant "out OF the rain," but even so I wouldn't literally leave it outdoors.

The closet is probably no worse than the unheated shops many of us (like me) have, but as the others have said, in a perfect world storing it indoors is really best. Since the world is an imperfect place, however, the outdoor closet is certainly a viable option.

I personally think a CMS makes a nice centerpiece for the dining room table, but LOYL may have other thoughts on the matter.
        Larry

Comment

• Ken Weaver
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Clemson, SC, USA
          • Rigid TS3650

Larry has the idea, a few flowers and its good to go!

PS - Welcome aboard, be safe and post pics of your projects!
          Ken Weaver
          Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Tundra_Man
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

I personally think a CMS makes a nice centerpiece for the dining room table, but LOYL may have other thoughts on the matter.
            Think of the time savings when carving the Thanksgiving turkey!

I refinished a guitar in the living room of an apartment I used to have. Made a heck of a mess. Sorry, I don't have any real good tips.
            Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• Wilbur4321
              Established Member
              • Feb 2003

quote:Originally posted by zedzeo
              And for that matter, does anyone have any tips for apartment woodworking?[]
              Hand tools?

--randy

Comment

• thrytis
                • May 2004
                • Concord, NC, USA.
                • Delta Unisaw

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you are, woodworking on the balcony of a third floor apartment. Leaving tools out isn't an option for me because a good rain combined with wind can soak every corner of my balcony. I store my tools in my outdoor closet, and in the year or so that i have been collecting power tools (including the Delta miter saw from Lowes), i haven't noticed any adverse affects. The door is pretty tight, and it is noticeably cooler and presumably less humid when i open the door. If your closet door isn't tight, you could always add some weather stripping to help seal it. It probably is comparable to a garage without AC.

If i did have space inside to store my tools, i probably wouldn't. No matter how much i clean off my tools there is always some saw dust on them (and my feet) that i would track through my apartment. It would also take that much longer to set up and clean up each time i want to work on something, and that already takes the bulk of my time. Of course, if i had the option, i would choose to store my tools in a nice climate controlled shop that i could also use them without moving them around.

My next project is going to be a rolling cabinet that i can store my shop vac in. I plan to put a movable work top on it that i can adjust to match the height of my Workmate, table saw, miter saw, etc. as needed. I always run out of space to put tools on, balance wood on, or work on. I think this will make things easier for me.

Good luck, and if you discover any good tips while working in your apartment, pass them on!

Eric
                Eric

Comment

• monte
                  Forum Windbag
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                  • GI 50-185M

I'd really try to keep it inside if I were you. Just the moisture alone will do damage to it.
                  Monte (another darksider)
                  Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• DrChas
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Burlington, Vt, USA.

Here's an idea: Make your outside cabinet weatherproof and vent it and heat it (just a 100 watt lightbulb might be enough) The warmth will dry the air and keep the tools happy.

I did research in Panama for a while, and to keep the mold off of everything we made a "dry cabinet" It had a couple of incandescent bulbs, and a vented door. It was only about 10 degrees warmer than the outside air, but it was totally effective at drying out clothes and tools (computers and books went in an air conditioned room)

Now the cool thing would be to make an ultimate tool stand and a heated cabinet that just held it. It would make the whole thing a quick setup, and it would definitely keep the rust away.

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

If you aren't worried about anyone stealing it, I would at least get a small thin plastic tarp and tie it on when not in use. Also keep it elevated in 4 bricks to keep any water from around the base.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• newood2
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Brooklyn, NY.
                        • BT3100-1

quote:Originally posted by leehljp

If you aren't worried about anyone stealing it, I would at least get a small thin plastic tarp and tie it on when not in use. Also keep it elevated in 4 bricks to keep any water from around the base.
                        I have a 12' X 12' canopy in the backyard where I want to do all my sawing. I want to leave my BT3100 outside most of the time. My idea was to buy one of those tarps at Lowes and make jacket/cover 43"W X 30"D X 45"H and drop it over the saw.
                        Do you think thats a good idea?

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

My 2 cents (and probably worth less)

I don't see why the "outdoor closet" is a problem, as long as it's raintight. As others have mentioned, many of us keep our tools out in an unheated garage. I don't see how the closet is any different, other than being smaller.

Having lived in apartments, I know that space is at a premium (heck, space is at a premium in our 2700 sqft house). I'm guessing keeping it inside is not a good option for you, plus you'd have to lug it outside every time you need it.

Just a thought though -- does your lease allow stuff like this? I'd be afraid of neighbor complaints unless it's pretty infrequent that you're doing this...

I have no idea what this would cost, but could you rent a small mini-storage unit with power? This could be your 'mini-shop'.

-Tim

Comment

• zedzeo
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Atlanta, GA.

Thanks Larry, yeah, I meant it's out OF the rain. I don't think any rain really comes into the porch. I’ve never seen any. Of course, that doesn’t mean a strong wind couldn’t blow plenty in. Maybe I'll use a tarp to cover the saws overnight when I'm in the middle of a project, and use the cabinet to store the tools for a longer period. And bring them inside when there aren't any projects coming up on the horizon (yeah, right). Luckily, my roommate doesn't mind all the sawdust I track in. But I think setting up a router in the dining room might be pushing my luck.

thrytis - Let me know how the rolling cabinet works out. Sounds like something I'd like to try. I definitely feel ya on the not enough space to put things on. I've only knocked a couple of pieces of wood off/through the railing so far. Hopefully my cordless saw isn't next.[xx(] But weather stripping the door is a good idea. The maintenance guys in my complex are pretty cool; they might be convinced to help me out.

I've had some luck taking a workmate and cordless tools down to my truck and working in the parking lot. Mostly to cut up pieces that would not come close to fitting on my porch. But I try not to do this too often, because, well I am three stories up. By the way, does anyone have an opinion about how truck boxes are for "long term" tool storage?

drchaz - The dry cabinet idea is tempting, but I'm not sure how I'd vent the closet door since it's not really mine. Maybe a tool cabinet as you suggest would be a way to go. It would not have to be very big, as I don't have many tools, and it would keep things more accessible than the closet.

Comment

• zedzeo
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Aug 2004
                              • Atlanta, GA.

So far, I haven't gotten any complaints. I'm in school, so mostly I'm too busy during the week to work. I end up working on weekend afternoons mostly. Hopefully, I'm not inconveniencing anyone too badly. Although, so far, my projects haven't been that complex, so there hasn't been much sustained tool noise. I guess I'll keep working until I come home to a letter on the door.[8)]

Comment

Working...