• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Office Remodel

It seems like I rarely post anything in finished projects and this may be premature, but at least the first part is done.

My home office is in a bonus space right next to the front door. The opening was 11' of wasted space and we clearly needed additional space for books

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2590.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	854928

​The next two pictures are of the lovely Ikea furniture that came back from the kids college dorms that they didn't want in THEIR new houses.

Name:	IMG_2589.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	854929

Name:	IMG_2588.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	854927

Below is the first completed phase. I mostly filled in the opening to the hallway with 4 2' wide bookcases which have been in place for months. Last week I finally finished the end panels, floor trim, and doorway top and got those installed.

The bookcases viewed from inside my office

Name:	IMG_3057.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	854930

The end panels for the bookcases that I had to make twice because the first set looke awful.

Name:	IMG_3058.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	854931

And finally, the reclaimed barnwood wall which is the back side of the bookcases. I am planning on adding a rolling door that will match the woodwork on my side and be a barn door on the other.

Name:	IMG_3059.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	854932

Still to do, is to finish the base cabinets behind my desk and build the upper bookcases for those.
    Chr's
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Very nice digs.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002

I got all the drawers finished and installed a couple of weeks ago. The base cabinets were installed in July of last summer and it took Home Depot 6+ months to get the the counter tops installed after they cancelled my order due to supplier issues and then upgraded them from Corian to Quartz, so an overall win.

I fitted most of the drawer fronts on Friday and the rest on Saturday. They are ready for the finishing room, but I'm out of stain and it won't be delivered until Friday.

Name:	IMG_3054.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	854936

Name:	IMG_3053.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	854937

For the large lateral file drawers, I glued up a panel the height of the bottom two drawer fronts. + the gap between them. I then cut a 3mm shadow line across it so the slab front gaps will be consistent across all 12 feet of cabinets

Name:	IMG_3063.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	854938

Two of the top drawers have power for device charging so all the random electronics that are now required for life aren't all over the counter tops when being charged.
      Note that the yellow tape on the one cord is not to repair damage but so I can tell the difference between the USB-C cables and the one Micro USB cable in the drawer.

Name:	IMG_3064.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	854939
      Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002

I finally finished the lower cabinet drawers in the office. 20 drawers in total.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3072.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	855021

There are 4 30" wide x 14" high lateral file drawers for all the paperwork that goes along with my job, and the vast majority of the paperwork is imaged and stored digitally.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3075.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.4 KB ID:	855022

After looking at everything together, I think should have used maple or birch for the drawer fronts instead of poplar. I think I'd have gotten a more consistent color in the final product and the cost difference wouldn't have been too much.
        Chr's

Comment

• Slik Geek
          Slik Geek commented
          Editing a comment
          The stain on those drawers is gorgeous!
      • twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002

I got the upper bookcase set in place over the weekend, and it made my office kind of dark so I decided to add some LED strip lighting into the crown moulding of the bookcases. That meant I needed to add a switch and extend that to a new outlet at the top of the bookcases.

I pulled the 12/2 wire from the outlet up to the switch, but didn't have any 12/3 to wire the outlet. I planned to have it so half the outlet was switched and the other half was always active. I went to Menards and a 15' piece of 12/3 wire was $46.98. I think I should sell off the few hundred feet 12/2, 14/3 and 10/3 I have in the basement and use the proceeds to retire. I'll save the spool of 6/3 to buy a small yacht.
        Chr's

Comment

• Stile_ss
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2024

It looks cozy and minimalistic. Great job.

I'm currently in the midst of a remodel for my office in Lafayette. It's been quite the process, but seeing it all come together is rewarding. Just yesterday, the cleaning company finished the post-construction cleanup, which was a relief. It's incredible how much dust can accumulate during renovations. The cleaning company, Going Green Cleaning, did a great job. It cost me about $800 for the whole thing.
          Now that the space is clean and ready, I'm on to the design phase. I want to create a space that feels both functional and inspiring. Natural light is a priority for me, so I'm exploring ways to maximize the windows and incorporate plenty of greenery to bring a bit of the outdoors inside. I'm also looking into minimalist furniture and décor to keep the space open and uncluttered.
          Last edited by Stile_ss; 04-18-2024, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Working...