• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Lunchtime Project

Working at home, or living at work depending on your philosophical bent, has advantages. At lunch time I do a simple project in half an hour to 45 minutes or so. It could be anything from edging part of the sidwalk to doing dishes. Yesterday's involved the table saw. I made an MDF rectangle and used 10 screws, 4 to mount it to the wall and 6 to attach the chargers and power strip. Now my outdoor equipment chargers are no longer taking up space on my tool cabinet in the garage.

Anyone think it should be submitted to Fine Woodworking Magazine?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Chargers.jpeg
Views:	337
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	845671
    Chr's
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

Nice job. Even secured the power strip cord neatly.

Comment

• Black walnut
      Administrator
      • Aug 2015
      • BT3K

Originally posted by twistsol

Anyone think it should be submitted to Fine Woodworking Magazine?
      I do. Seems every magazine from time to time has a list of shop improvement projects and that seems like a simple good one. Well executed.
      just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm out of wall space.

Did you leave room for expansion?
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          I'm out of wall space.

Did you leave room for expansion?
          I have two 40v batteries and a three port charger, and there is room for another single battery charger to the right of the 18v charger on the bottom. Unless of course you meant did I leave room for expansion on my walls. In that case no, they are full, and I even have a ceiling lift to store Christmas trees above the garage door.

The other problem is, the more I put up in the garage, the more I'll have to take down when I get to the finishing the drywall and painting and trim project in there.
          Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I have seriously been thinking of the 6 battery charging station for the Ryobi 18V system, as I have 9 of the 4Ah batteries and 5 of the 2Ah batteries. I need a small gas powered generator to carry with me to be able to run the charging station.

40V batteries: I have one 40v battery and and very disappointed with it. I have both a blower and hedge cutter. The 40V gave me about 15 minutes new on both (5 years ago) and now about 5 minutes. I'm wondering it I got a dud 40V or if that was/is normal.

Of my 9 18V 4Ah batteries, all still run normally and 3 are at least 10 years old. The 40V has not performed in any kind of semblance near the 18V.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

Hank,

One of my 40v 4Ah batteries lets me run the edger around all the planting beds, driveway, both sides of 80' for sidwalk + 80' of curb at the road and 230' of bike trail to the side of the house. Then I take that same battery, drop it into the string trimmer and do all the trees, fence line of the neghbor and aling the retaining walls. I then use the same battery for the blower to clean up everything. About an hour total and the battery meter shows it's still about half full.

That said, the first time I edged the path, I had to go through three charges to get it all done, it stalled frequently and the batteries were really hot when they were neared empty. The edger really seems to tax the batteries.
              Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by twistsol
                At lunch time I do a simple project in half an hour to 45 minutes or so. It could be anything from edging part of the sidwalk to doing dishes.
                What I learned from this post is that I need to change my frame of reference. Treat my all "chores" as "projects".

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul

What I learned from this post is that I need to change my frame of reference. Treat my all "chores" as "projects".
                  Growing up on a farm, I heard "chores are what you do before breakfast, (feed cows, pigs, chickens, gather eggs, etc) Work is what you do after breakfast!"
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002

I always thought chores were what mom and dad told you to do and work was what you got paid to do. We only had cows, but they got milked at 5:00 am and pm
                    Chr's

Comment

Working...