X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Garden fence and gate

An early Christmas present for mom. Been stuck at home since covid so gardening is her only form of exercise. Made out of recycled redwood bleachers. You can still see some of of the stained bolt holes. Decided to leave them in instead of cutting around them.
    Attached Files
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

That’s one nice fence and gate. Wonderful Christmas present and a great re-use of materials.
    Bleachers? As is on a high school football field?

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

I forget if it was from a school or maybe a park? About a year ago someone listed it on Craigslist. 15-20 foot redwood boards. 2x8 mostly. He was a contractor hired by the city to tear the bleachers down. I ended up buying a couple dozen boards. He prob had close to 200. If I had the room to store it I would have bought twice as many. When I cleaned it up it was pretty much all heartwood. Best part was the price. $3 each. Not bf but each board.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by jussi
        An early Christmas present for mom. Been stuck at home since covid so gardening is her only form of exercise. Made out of recycled redwood bleachers. You can still see some of of the stained bolt holes. Decided to leave them in instead of cutting around them.
        Excellent work!

That redwood looks so good! Unfortunately we don't have any here in FL. What sort of finish did you use?

Your design of the fence and the gate is very neat!
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

Thanks. I forgot the brand but it's the standard type they sell in Home Depot. Build was pretty straight forward. Finish is just a stain. All the joints were done using dominos except on the curved part of the rail on the gate. I couldn’t figure out how to do that with power tools only. Ended up establishing the walls with a slot cutter and chiseling out the rest.
          Last edited by jussi; 11-17-2020, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Black walnut
            Administrator
            • Aug 2015
            • BT3K

Beautiful project jussi! Wonderful use of reclaimed redwood. I like the design and you work looks flawless. I bet your mom loves it.
            just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Now that's what I call "style". Looks great, very nice design and I love the details you've executed. Great job for a perfect setting. You've displayed some real craftsmanship and I'm glad you posted this.

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...