• Show
Clear All
  • tmaceroli
    Established Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Forked River, New Jersey, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Built-in Cabinets and Shelves

Here are a few pictures of some built-in cabinets and shelves I just installed around our fireplace. Made mostly out of 3/4” birch ply for the carcasses and 3/4” poplar for the face frames and doors.

I rough cut the plywood with a DIY saw cutting guide and circ saw. The final cuts on the sheet goods, as well as ripping the hardwood to width were done on the now 15 yr old BT3100. The cabinet doors are made with stub tenons and 1/4” birch ply inserts. I prefer flat panels for my Shaker-style doors. Long pieces were cut to size on a miter saw. I have Diablo blades on all my saws. Finish/crosscut blades on the miter saw and circular saw, and a 24 tooth rip blade on the table saw.

Did some rabbets with the router, but then switched back to the table saw.

It’s one thing to watch Nee Yankee Carpenter and marvel at all the wonderful tools and huge shop. But when I joined this forum I was truly amazed at the work that was being done in small shops and with more modest tools and setups. I bought my BT3100 after reading some of the articles by Sam Conder and some of the other old timers. I certainly don’t put myself in the same class as Sam and Rod Kirby, just to mention a few. But with their “encouragement” and example, I have been able to accomplish what I set out to do - have fun, build nice stuff, and don’t break the bank doing it.

Thanks to all on this great forum.

Attached Files
    Tony

"Nothing would be done at all if a man waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault with it."
    - Cardinal Newman
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

Nice! What kind of hinges did you use? We just got a new kitchen and all the drawers and doors are soft close. I think that accounted for half the price. Looks like you mastered crown molding too!
    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• tmaceroli
      Established Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks! I used BluMotion (Blum) soft-close hinges on the cabinet doors. You're right - not cheap - but definitely worth it. I had to use variable overlay hinges, since I have 2" stiles on the face frame and full overlay doors. I also used a Kreg jig to make the 35MM recesses in the doors to accept the hinges.
      Tony

"Nothing would be done at all if a man waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault with it."
      - Cardinal Newman

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Beautifully done.
        Chr's

Comment

• tmaceroli
          Established Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks!
          Tony

- Cardinal Newman

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Nicely executed! Good job!
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

Working...