• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Christmas village stand version 2

My daughter sent me a photo from Pintrest of another style of Christmas village stand via Facebook and her twin sister's mother in law wanted one as well. I put these together just before our Thanksgiving vacation and she took both of them to Duluth with her, one for herself and one for her mother in law, so I'm now in the process of making two more to replace the one for her sister's mother in law.

Click image for larger version

Name:	988DA168-521B-408A-9D07-85C9FB05E3B4.jpg
Views:	3404
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	835339

They each take a sheet and a half of plywood and I finally had a reason to use the circle jig that came with my jigsaw. The shelves pop off and the two sides are hinged together so each one folds flat for storage. We discovered that a a couple of screws are needed on the bottom shelf because if the stand opens to more than 90 degrees, it all collapses. Pintrist didn't mention that.

I'm kind of embarrassed by these since they're just from som old plywood I had in the shop and I screwed the shelf supports into place. She asked me for them a couple of days before I was supposed to leave on vacation so they were fast and sloppy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7D7E66CF-1EE5-49B2-9D83-52345E498A70.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	835340

Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Those turned out well.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Do these old as much as the pyramid one?

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by capncarl
        Do these old as much as the pyramid one?
        No, they have less than half the shelf area, require more materials, and are heavier.
        Chr's

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Those turned out great.

One project that has been on my back burner for several years but I hope to get to in January is to expand our village display area. It started out as a couple buildings on top of our piano, but over the years we've added buildings and it's now outgrown the piano altogether. We have a horizontal railing right next to the piano and I want to build something that can clamp onto there for the season and be removed without any damage. We'll see how that goes.

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

I saw those in Facebook too and liked it. I'm glad you mentioned that you put screws in the lower shelf. I was wondering what kept it from opening too far. Good solution!
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...