X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Finished Jewelry Armoir

So this started as a plan that my wife said she wanted built. I figured I'd give it a try knowing that my skills weren't great, but what the heck. Then she hit me---match it to the existing amish bedroom furniture. That meant creating raised panel drawer fronts and top, redesigning the foot/base to match and oh yeah, creating a custom stain color. (Did I mention I'm not Amish nor do I have their talents?) The project started as 1x6 maple that I planed and jointed and then glued up. This was definitely the most challenging project I've undertaken. Surprisingly enough, everything came out pretty good and actually matched the existing furniture pretty darn good. The fun part was making the 1/2 moon indention in the front of the drawers to match what was on the existing furniture---but I managed it. The finish is General finishes satin waterbased stain. I really wanted to spray it, but I'm just not there yet. I can honestly say the finish is pretty dang good and I'm happy with it---which I usually never am. My neighbors saw it and said they had seen something very similar for $1400 in a store, so that made me feel pretty good. The overall construction is not that fancy or intricate, but it's my best to date...Thanks for looking and thanks to the forum for inspiring me to not give up.
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

That is very very nice work! Really nicely done!
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Very nicely done. That finish does look great.

Paul

Comment

• Turaj
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
        • BT3000 (1998)

That is really nice. I am sure your wife would love it. Thanks for sharing (glad you didn't give up )
        Turaj (in Toronto)
        "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

That is a really nice piece, I know my wife would love it! Congratulations.

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

That's a beautiful piece of fine-furniture! I daresay that easily is worth the $1400 at the store. Your wife is going to start making a list of to-dos for you now on, watch out!
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• Two Much
              Established Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Long Island, NY
              • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

That is lovely. I'm sure your wife is very happy.

Comment

Working...