• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

New batch of Tiny Tables

I've been buisy, dragging this build out for 3 months. Each table is different, even the leg lengths are slightly different. Standardizing the dimensions would reduce the build time.... but it wouldn't be a challenge anymore. I usually build one at a time, but this time I built the last 3 ambrosia pecan tables at the same time to change the pace. Three of these tables are to re-.stock the gallery in Fla and the remaining will probably go to a new outlet nearby.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4148.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	830965
  • UPS1990
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2017
    • Southern Cal
    • BT 3100

Your tiny tables always come out beautifully. When I grow up, I want to be like Capncarl!.
    Ive read some of your older post and crack up when you mention from time to time snakes trying to sneak inside your shop and having to keep the garage door closed during the summer. Thats crazy stuff!

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Man, those are nice. Makes me want to make one right now. And makes me want a Domino too!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Lee, the domino 500 made it possible to make these tables. I have made 5 or 6 Tiny Tables with the bottom shelf, the ones I call type 3, using true mortise and tennon joinery as well as using a doweling jig. They were very difficult to build and had gaps and cracks in the joints. These were always built by special request and I never considered building them just to put in the store to see if they would sell. You can't just spit these tables out just because you have a domino machine, but after playing with it and learning it's capabilities you can figure it out. I'm really glad I found the domino 500 machine and the Festool CT48 HEPA dust extractor at the pawn shop needing a new home because the CT48 hooked to the Festool sanders really helps reduce the dust in my shop.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

UPS1990, don't tell my wife..... she thinks I keep the shop door down to keep the snakes out, but I really keep it closed because I keep the AC running all the time. Keeping the cool inside is reason #1, keeping the gnats and mosquitoes out is reason #2, and keeping snakes and critters out is reason #3.
          capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Carl, I really like this batch. Have you posted others with the ladder rung bottom shelf? I really like that look and there also seems to be some kind of roundover on all the legs and stretchers. Any close ups? It has a mid-century modern look.

These will sell fast!

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Another outstanding batch, I really like your small tables! I'm with Hank, want to build one now.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I have to add another comment: There is something about the way you "blended the flow" of the wood from one piece to the others (in the ladder part) that reminds me of Sam Maloof's techniques. Every time I look at the picture, Sam Maloof designs comes to mind.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Photo of close of of the ladder shelf. One issue with building small components like the ladder shelf is deciding on the rung size and spacing. I've found out that regardless what size and spacing you like, you still have to make it work with the tools you have on hand. That means that if you build the ladder with rungs that are too close together you can't easily sand and shape them with regular sanders. Lots of discovery in building stuff like this.

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	830995

Name:	IMG_4160.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	830996

Name:	IMG_4249.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	830997

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Lee, I constructed the ladder shelf out of rectangular stock that was cut to fit the legs. The leg angle is 5 degrees and the leg bevel is anybody's guess, somewhere around 3 degrees, so the ladder rails are tilted bottom out at 5 degrees and the ends are cut to match the around 8 degrees leg. Each slat is cut at 5 degrees. Clear as mud? The ladder is fitted with dominos and all is glued up, Then I half round everything on a router table, being careful not to route the rail ends at the legs, that is hand cut to make it flush with the legs then sand everything to make it flow together. A 6" sanding paper disc on the 5" ROS has enough paper overhang that it will blend in corners and joints nicely.
                    capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by leehljp
                      Every time I look at the picture, Sam Maloof designs comes to mind.
                      Yes, that's it!

Comment

Working...