• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

More Welding Than Woodworking

Riding with the Patriot Guard I built a flag mount to carry 3x5 flags on the trike. The mount is 11Ga. steel tubing and the flag poles are .125 Ga. x 1" aluminum tubing. The receiver tubes are set so the flags lean 5 degrees back and 10 degrees out. The first balls for the flag poles were turned out of some scrap Oak I had but were too small. The new, larger ones are Mahogany painted with auto primer to seal the wood and fill in the grain, 2 coats of Buckskin metallic, and 2 coats of Helmsman gloss spar urethane. In addition to the American flag, I have a Texas flag and flags for all the services except the Coast Guard. The parade pictures were the July 4th parade in Seguin, TX with the American Legion.
    Last edited by Pappy; 08-02-2016, 06:30 PM.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

That's really cool. We love a good parade and look forward to the Labor Day one here. It's always nice to see the folks like you who put in the effort to make their presentations look good.

Not sure if you've taken this out on the open road. Do you feel drag?

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I miss being able to weld in my shop. I shot myself in the foot when I installed an epoxy floor over the concrete, welding ruins epoxy, the thought never crossed my mind until it was done! I couldn't use it much so I sold my stationary arc and tig welder and large oxy/ac set and picked up an older mig and small oxy/ac tank set. Now when I need to weld or cut I roll or drag hoses on the driveway in front of the shop and have to roll my old heavy welding table from around the building, then try to do what I have to do on a hot driveway with the sun shining in the back of my hood. No more epoxy or painted floors in my next garage for me!

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        Not sure if you've taken this out on the open road. Do you feel drag?
        Rode one PGR mission with the flags. It was a short ride from the church to the cemetery but I didn't notice any difference in the handling of the trike.

Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

Working...