X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

New tool stand (and tool)

I finally got a chance to get some pics of a new stand I built for a Christmas present--a 10" Craftsman bandsaw. It's also my first adventure in building "nicer" shop cabinets with drawers.

The stand is built of 3/4" Birch plywood and features 3 drawers for storage which are two 5" drawers and one 10" drawer. The cabinet is a faceframe cabinet (built from Tom Clark's Practical Shop Cabinets method). The drawers are made of 1/2 ply with 1/2" false fronts that overlap on 18" self closing slides. I routed the edges of the top and fronts with a 1/4" roundover bit, which came out ok--I really just wanted to eliminate the sharp edges. The project is finished with 6 coats of Minwax Wipe-on Poly sanded with 220 between the coats and 0000 steel wool as the final sanding. The 2" casters allow it to roll smoothly where I need it. With the cabinet loaded, there are no issues with tipping that I have experienced. Rather than using locking casters, I chose a method for locking the wheels that I am beginning to find more user freindly--I simply cut some 2x4 wedges and attached rubber shelf liner to 2 sides. A simple "kick" of the wedges on two sides stops the movement of the tool and I don't have to bend over to unlock them. It probably wouldn't work for a heavy bench, but for something like this, it works well. All in all, not a masterpiece and certainly not fine joinery, but for me a good learning experience. Hopefully the next one will be better
    Attached Files
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Looks nice once I get the crook outta my neck nice job

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

nicely done dual purpose stand/cabinet.
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

How do you keep it from falling off the wall?
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jbrain
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2007
          • roseville california
          • Bt3100

Nice job. I have the same bandsaw. I didn't think much of it at first, but after obtaining a 1/2 inch 3tpi new blade I am quite happy.

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by sailor55330
            Rather than using locking casters, I chose a method for locking the wheels that I am beginning to find more user freindly--I simply cut some 2x4 wedges and attached rubber shelf liner to 2 sides.
            a pic or two of those wedges and how they are employed would be appreciated. i would like to immobilize a bench i have that's on 4 non locking swivel casters and haven't found anything particularly reliable yet. another forum member noted that he had a way to do it, but his explanation made it clear he had no real intention of sharing any meaningful information.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I have that BS and love it. Congrats.

Here is a great article on tuning it if you haven't seen it yet:

WARNING!!! All operarions discussed in this article were done with the saw turned off and unplugged. I **HIGHLY** recommend you do the same....
              Joe

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

I think 'nicer' shop cabinets is an apt description.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• sailor55330
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2010

Thank you for the kind words. I'll try to get some pics of the wedges soon. Also, thank you for the link on tuning the saw, I had not seen that one.

Comment

Working...