• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Radiused Laminated Platform Bed/Dressers

These pieces were all done with a plywood substrate, with radiused fronts and edges, laminated in a gloss high pressure laminate (like Formica).

• JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Interesting design. Did the laminate bend over those curves? Is the triple curve a dresser?

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by JimD
      Interesting design. Did the laminate bend over those curves? Is the triple curve a dresser?

Jim
      Thanks for commenting. The laminate is called "postforming", and is made to bend around curves. It's common with manufacturers. My most common application is with 3" radius, used mostly for vertical cabinet ends. It will form to a smaller radius with a minimal application of heat from a heat gun.

The three curves are three independent drawer fronts.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

The finished shine shows great attention to detail and professionalism! That is what drives me and I am not good enough to get that kind of finish the first time around, but rather I have to finish and refinish.

On the subject of "postforming," what thickness of ply do you use and how dense does it sound if tapped by hand?

I am building a "sleigh bed" in my mind, which means about two years away. I don't want curved side ends with flat ply or boards between, but I haven't figured out how to "form" 3/4 thick ply in the shape of a slight "S". OR 3/8" ply over ribs, layered on both sides so that it appears solid. I am afraid of 1/4" as it will sound and feel hollow unless the shaped ribs are no more than a couple of inches apart.

Most plans that I have seen call for flat panels for the the headboard and foot board. I want to avoid that. I also have thought of getting 2" oak and glueing it up in the shape I want (edge to edge into a slight "S" shape) and then shaping it with planes and sander.

Your round "post forming" has me thinking something easier!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by leehljp
          The finished shine shows great attention to detail and professionalism! That is what drives me and I am not good enough to get that kind of finish the first time around, but rather I have to finish and refinish.

On the subject of "postforming," what thickness of ply do you use and how dense does it sound if tapped by hand?

I am building a "sleigh bed" in my mind, which means about two years away. I don't want curved side ends with flat ply or boards between, but I haven't figured out how to "form" 3/4 thick ply in the shape of a slight "S". OR 3/8" ply over ribs, layered on both sides so that it appears solid. I am afraid of 1/4" as it will sound and feel hollow unless the shaped ribs are no more than a couple of inches apart.

Most plans that I have seen call for flat panels for the the headboard and foot board. I want to avoid that. I also have thought of getting 2" oak and glueing it up in the shape I want (edge to edge into a slight "S" shape) and then shaping it with planes and sander.

Your round "post forming" has me thinking something easier!
          If you want the curves in hardwood, like a hardwood plywood, you could just kerf the back side.The depth and distance between kerfs will determine how easy it will shape.

Or, you can get a bending plywood (made to bend in one plane, in thicknesses from 1/8" to 1" SEE LINK. Once formed it can be covered with a backed wood veneer and solvent based contact cement. This is a preferred method, as some shapes and vacuum bags aren't compatible.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
            If you want the curves in hardwood, like a hardwood plywood, you could just kerf the back side.The depth and distance between kerfs will determine how easy it will shape.

Or, you can get a bending plywood (made to bend in one plane, in thicknesses from 1/8" to 1" SEE LINK. Once formed it can be covered with a backed wood veneer and solvent based contact cement. This is a preferred method, as some shapes and vacuum bags aren't compatible.

CAB,

I apologize for not replying earlier. Thanks for the link. I thought about the kerfs and I might go that route. I will be working on this in my mind for a while! I appreciate your information on this.

Thanks
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...