• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • codaman33
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • Houston, TX, USA.

Finished hand plane and hand plane class

I recently had the opportunity to take a class that my friend Jeremy Grubb was teach in Houston at his shop. It was $200 plus wood and blades, but you came out with two awesome wooden hand planes.

One of the hardest parts for this class was finding the wood. It is very difficult to find an exotic hardwood that is 2 1/2" X 2 1/2". Why exotic hardwoods, they look cooler and are a lot denser that your standard maple, walnut, etc. I found out that cool woods to use are cocobola, which I used for both, bebinga, purple heart, grenadila, lignum vitae, and a few other. My cocobola was expensive at $170 for a board that was 10" wide X 2 1/2" thick X 4' long. At least, I can make many more hand planes with the remaining wood that I have.

The next step was the jointing, resawing, trimming on the table saw, and them planing. Quite a lot there, but it is very important, especially for the sole to be dead ass flat.

Then we cut our different angles. We were making two, one was a 63 degree high angle that was 13" long and the other was a 55 degree stardard angle with a Krenov style metal chip breaker which was 9" long. You had to cut all of your angle for the blade to sit in and the curve for the front where the shaving fly out of, hopefully.

Next, we the assembly and after that the flattening. You need a lot of clamps for this part. We used a few pin nails for aligment, helped out a lot. Once it was all dry, we then had to true up the sole. Soemtimes this was pretty simply, but in my case, it took a hand plane to flatten a hand plane. We finally got it all done.

Next part was cutting the wooden wedge and shaping your hand plane to look like a hotrod namely a rodster. Off to the bandsaw to make your rough cuts, and then to the spindle sander, the belt sander, and the disk sander. Then once all of that is done, you have an ugly hand plane.

Now it is time to make it look pretty. For this, we used a hand plane makers float, some files and rasps, a little spokeshave, a card scraper, and some 220 grit sand paper. So we rounded here and took off from there. Shaped and sculpted here there. And last, we had to put the finger places that were set just for yourself. What you did was grab your hand plane and mark some circles on the side where your back hand was. Then you let got and repeat. All the while, you want to run a test pass on a piece of wood to make sure that your hand is grabbing the same place.

Once you have this done, you take a scoop hand chisel and a v-groove hand chisel and scoop it out, then you use a goose neck scraper and hollow it out a little. Then you take the v-groove chisel and make a grid, much nicer for holding onto your hand plane.

When this is all said and done, you have a beautifully sculpted wooden hand plane form the Grubb's Bad Ass School of Woodworking. I hope that you enjoy the pictures, and let me know if you have any questions.

Matt
    Attached Files
  • Shep
    • Nov 2008
    • Columbus, OH
    • Hitachi C10FL

Holy pictures batman. The planes look great. How long was the class?
    -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• nadz
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2005
      • Rocket City, AL, USA.

thanks for posting

great pics, i want to make a hand plane...BAD
      -----------------------------------------------------------------
      Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer

Comment

• lrogers
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Mobile, AL. USA.
        • BT3000

That was a cool series of photos. That plane turned out awesome.
        Larry R. Rogers
        The Samurai Wood Butcher
        http://splash54.multiply.com
        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• codaman33
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2004
          • Houston, TX, USA.

Originally posted by Shep
          Holy pictures batman. The planes look great. How long was the class?
          Shep, the first night went from like 6:30 pm until about 11 pm when I got home that night. The second night started about 5:30 pm and got home around 2 in the morning. It was a lot of time to commit and long nights, but I would do it again in a heartbeat though especially now that I know how to make very functional and beautiful hand planes. Heck, I probably won't be buying any more standard hand planes again. I'll just make them.

Comment

• codaman33
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2004
            • Houston, TX, USA.

As far as Nadz and Irogers goes, thanks I appreciate it. And if you want to learn, let me know, I can get with Jeremy and arrange a class if you guys want to drive out to Houston for a day or two. And they are awesome to operate, there are just so many steps that go into making one. I think now that I know what I am doing, the time that it took to make them will start getting cut down because of efficiency. I thank that he will be teaching this class at our local Woodcraft soon. For that class, you will leave with one hand plane and a hand plane hammer for adjusting the iron.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Enjoyed the pictorial which was quite a feat itself... Nice results and well worth the tuition it appears.

Enjoy...

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Those planes look great! You should be using them with well deserved pride for many years.
                Chr's

Comment

• codaman33
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Houston, TX, USA.

Originally posted by nadz
                  great pics, i want to make a hand plane...BAD
                  Hey Nadz, I am sitting here with Jeremy right now, and he says if you are interested that he could be convinced to make you a hand plane. He says that if you wanted to talk to him about it to just email him. His email is jjhg@jjhgwoodworks.com. Just in case you are interested. One quick warning, IT WILL NOT BE CHEAP. To see the kind of work that he does, go check out his website, www.jjhgwoodworks.com.

Other than that, he will be teaching classes throughout the summer, and he will be teaching a class at the local Woodcraft in the fall about hand planes. So just jump on a plane, and come out to Houston for a class.

Comment

• BRENDA WITTE

Originally posted by codaman33
                    shep, the first night went from like 6:30 pm until about 11 pm when i got home that night. The second night started about 5:30 pm and got home around 2 in the morning. It was a lot of time to commit and long nights, but i would do it again in a heartbeat though especially now that i know how to make very functional and beautiful hand planes. Heck, i probably won't be buying any more standard hand planes again. I'll just make them.
                    hey,codaman. I enjoyed looking at the pictures. They are great!!! I know jeremy taught you all well.

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the series of pictures - I am jealous. I wish I could do do something like that. Those planes are gorgeous.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

It sounds like you had a ball. Thanks for a nice series of pics.

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• germdoc
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Omaha, NE
                          • BT3000--the gray ghost

Planes look great!

And, boy am I jealous of that bandsaw!
                          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

Working...