X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

One Thing Leads to Another ...

I've recently installed a kitchen for a former employee - nothing too difficult, and some nice hardware from Hafele (I made the chopping board in the first picture out of some left-over solid beech IKEA worktop from another job).

Click image for larger version

Name:	wvkit01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	788821

The cupboard around the wall-hung boiler was a bit of a pain, otherwise, no problems.

Name:	wvkit02.jpg
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	788822

Name:	wvkit03.jpg
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	788823

When I'd finished, I collected just under half of a 15 foot church pew. Her mother had bought it "to split between her son and daughter" and her husband had taken a saw to it! The son collected his half in a trailer and the left-hand side is propped up on books. It'll probably stay that quite a while! Anyway, my friend wanted a "proper job" doing to make a "two-bum seat" out of it for use in the mud room of their French cottage.

I carefully took it apart (dowelled mortice and tenons mostly) and had a think. There was no stock as thick as the existing end, but I had just enough seat to make a panel, rebated into the rest of the timber. Here's the result:

Name:	pew01.jpg
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	788824

I even cut down the prayer book shelf to match. You can see the original end in this shot, the next picture shows my version, with extra stock added to gain a bit of depth - not quite as much as the original, but you'd be pretty clever to see both sides at once, so I reckon it'll do.

Name:	pew02.jpg
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	788825

The whole thing was sanded then re-stained to ensure that the raw edges weren't too obvious. Not perfect, but I think it's better than a stack of books!

Name:	pew03.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	788826

Thanks for looking.

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.
  • WayneJ
    • Jan 2004
    • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Looks very "Proper" to me. Very nice work as usual.The kitchen looks great.

Wayne
    Wayne J

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

I really like that project, Ray! You've done well to remain true to the original builder's design, with an outcome that will suit the owner's needs very well.

Funny about the old guy taking a saw to the pew. Now THAT is something I would do. DAMHIKT!

JR
      JR

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by RayintheUK
        I carefully took it apart (dowelled mortice and tenons mostly) and had a think. There was no stock as thick as the existing end, but I had just enough seat to make a panel, rebated into the rest of the timber. Here's the result:

Thanks for looking.

Ray.
        And a church pew would certainly be a handy thing to have when the apocalypse nears!

:-)

Comment

• kwgeorge
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Alvin, TX, USA.

What’s your opinion of those Ikea tops Ray? I had seen something posted in another thread either here or somewhere else on those and I have been thinking about the different uses for something like that. I understand they have a warp in them, is this true? If so how much?

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

Now Ray, that's a pew any pair-O-bums would be proud to make contact with. Nicely done, as usual.
            k

Comment

• RayintheUK
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the comments, guys! BTW, I forgot to mention that although I've just "recycled" this pew, I wasn't the first. When dismantling it, apart from the fixings being exclusively cast-iron clout nails, I also found that some of the wood used by the builder had already been used before. I'm really pleased to keep it going for several more years.

Originally posted by kwgeorge
              What’s your opinion of those Ikea tops Ray? I had seen something posted in another thread either here or somewhere else on those and I have been thinking about the different uses for something like that. I understand they have a warp in them, is this true? If so how much?
              Ken,
              My experience of the IKEA tops is through fitting six in one kitchen (details here). All were perfectly flat and true. The experience of onedash was unfortunate, but my small sample seems to show that they're normally fine. They're made of beech staves, glued and finger-jointed together. I'm NEVER going to install one in my kitchen, as they dent at the slightest touch - for example, dropping cutlery from about 6" leaves a mark - as the client knows only too well! They're heavy and - if sealed or oiled both sides - should be very stable, but the surface would last about five minutes in any workshop, unless a sacrificial top was added. HTH

Ray.
              Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• kwgeorge
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Alvin, TX, USA.

Thanks Ray, I was thinking about perhaps coating with a Polycrylic or an Epoxy finish. Currently I am toying with the idea of a bathroom remodel using Maple for all the cabinet faces and Birdseye Maple veneer for the drawers and door faces. I was thinking that something like this would be a good medium contrast for a sink top if sealed properly. I would have to think about the coating as you mention the beech is soft.

BTW, Kitchen looks great.

Comment

• John Hunter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                  • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                  John Hunter

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

Well done you! I like the bench and the kitchen's not bad either.
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• mater
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • SC, USA.

Very good work on both projects Ray.
                      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Crash2510
                        • Feb 2006
                        • North Central Ohio

both kitchen and bench are very nice, but I would have to say I like the bench more something about reclaimed wood that i really like
                        Phil In Ohio
                        The basement woodworker

Comment

• lrogers
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mobile, AL. USA.
                          • BT3000

Smashing, as they say on your side of the pond. Cutting down that pew was a nice touch. All-in-all, a litchen to be proud of.
                          Larry R. Rogers
                          The Samurai Wood Butcher
                          http://splash54.multiply.com
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

Working...