• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Dimensions of factory option ZCTP

Here are the dimensions of the Factory made OEM optional ZCTP if you want to make your own.
    Note that the stock thickness is about .5" BUT there is a dish out down to only .167 thick to protect your blade from being trapped when cutting the slot. Trapping the blade leads to broken belts and much sorrow. FORWARNED!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ZCTP Dimensions.JPG Views:	3 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	843418

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZCTP Outline drawing and hole location.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	843426
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-19-2021, 09:54 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Maybe when I have more energy I'll map out the dimensions of where the 3 or 7 screw holes are... unless someone else wants to do it.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

My factory ZCTPs have four mounting holes and are hollow underneath with ribs forming pockets. I filled the pockets with epoxy to stiffen the plates. After all of these years, I still have a couple that haven't been used yet.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

If you would like, I can make a drawing of the ZCTP on my BT3100. I've done this in the past for a couple of components, so it's no big deal for me. I already have my ZCTP off the saw.

Yes, mine too has four mounting holes.

CWS
        Last edited by cwsmith; 03-22-2021, 10:25 AM.
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          It would be nice if you did.
      • LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah the three hole mounting option is a little bit thin for plastic (0.100 inches thick.) This is what happens after a few years of use.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=843399.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.8 KB ID:	843420
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-19-2021, 08:20 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Sorry I haven't got to this yet, it's been an all too busy past few days, just grabbed a few minutes here and there, just too little spare time this past weekend.

Last night I did get a few minutes to sit down and take a quick look. I grabbed the ZCTP from the shop and took a look at it. For many small parts that I draw I've found the best approach is to place them on my flatbed scanner and take the details and dimensions from the 1:1 scan, checking against the part in hand.

In this particular case, I don't think anyone is interested in detailing the support ribs, bossing around the mounting holes, etc.; after all, I don't think anyone wants to replicate it exactly. So, what I thought might be best is to simply draw a 'pattern' that anyone could print and then use as a template. I made a rough layout late last night and checked it against my saw a short time ago. It fits and I'll see if making a PDF file changes the dimensions any. (I don't want it to shrink or enlarge during the conversion.)

So the idea here is to make a pattern that anyone could print. It's too long for a normal letter-size print-out, so I've layed it out on the paper in two sections, that can be cut, mated, and taped, giving a full-size pattern with the bold holes. You can then just cut the material to the pattern.

Does that sound workable to everyone, or do you really want a detailed drawing of the original factory ZCLP ?

CWS

Comment

• nicer20
            nicer20 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a good one. Guess exact drawing of the original is not necessary - the workable solution with major features should suffice. Thanks in advance.

NG
        • LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwsmith

....Does that sound workable to everyone, or do you really want a detailed drawing of the original factory ZCLP ?

CWS
          Just the Outline drawing would be great, I think. Location of major features.
          I think a dotted line showing the centerline of the blade would be useful.

Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

“My” fix for cracked countersunk holes in plastic and wood is a countersunk washer. I’ve been using these for years,,,,, after I accidentally found a large coffee can full of them at a car swap meet, I never knew they existed! If it is a thin application where surface contact is critical I Click image for larger version

Name:	D6F08054-8D14-4B74-A4C7-00CEC959B4E5.jpeg
Views:	501
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	843460 start off the build by cutting a recess with a spade bit then cut the countersink to fit the washer.
            Attached Files

Comment

• morte100
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2021
              • Bellingham, WA
              • BT3100-1

Has anyone attempted to 3D print one of these? Loring & CWS, is that what the detailed drawings you're collaborating on are for? I haven't had anything printed before, but it is starting to seem like a real necessity at this point. A set of 2 ZCTPs from the accessory kit just sold for $46 shipped on ebay, and I bet that was a bit of a bargain.

Alternatively, has anyone tried to make this one of 1/2 BB Ply with a plexi insert to avoid trapping the blade? https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...at-plate?hl=en
              Is the "Easy Way to Make ZCTPs" article under Articles > Jigs & Fixtures (which includes tapping 4 new holes) the best way to go?

I just got my BT3100-1 a week or two ago, and the throat plate insert it came with is bent and doesn't stay affixed to the back left height adjusting screw. I'm looking for safer alternatives. Thanks! -David

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Sorry about the delay. I went back and forth with Loring marking up far too many mistakes I was making with the details. (I was having a bad month or something ). Here are the last two drawings that I did with the latest revisions. I sat them aside for awhile just in case Loring found any more mistakes.

At this point I think they're fine so here are the two PDF drawings. One is a pattern that you can use to cut one and the more detailed drawing is all the dimensional details.

Personally, I think this can be made from typical (my shop anyway) scraps. The weak point as I see it, is that thin lip around the edge. The original accessory plate was made from rather stiff plastic with ribbing molded into the bottom. You could 3-D print it, but I don't know how strong that thin lip would be around the edge.

I want to really thank Loring for his sharp eye and attention to detail. He has been a tremendous help, and I must admit some embarrassment for the errors I made.

Thanks,

CWS
                Attached Files
                Last edited by cwsmith; 06-29-2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  LCHIEN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was just thinking about this the other day, I dropped the ball in getting back to you. Thanks for doing all the work.
              • LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Honestly I think You'd be better off making a handful (always easier to make multiples at one time) of throat plates out of some wood. Home Depot near me had some 48" pieces of 3/8" Poplar a little wider than needed. Its a great BT3000 table saw project and not too hard, primarily milling down the edges and end with rip cuts. A little drilling at the end.

ask if you need more suggestions on the how to's of doing this.

One useful tip is that the blade elevation screw is 12 threads per inch so each turn of the handle raises the blade .083"; I find its easy to turn in 1/4 increments so you get .021" per quarter turn when sneaking up on a thickness or depth of cut desired.
                Its doable to go 1/8 of a turn and get about .01" change... which is less than 1/64th inch.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-28-2021, 09:53 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• GrumpyDad
                  Established Member
                  • Jul 2020
                  • Midwest
                  • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

I have (used) dado and standard throat plates in my stash if someone is in need
                  Harumpf!
                  GrumpyDad

Comment

Working...