• Show
Clear All
  • garymck
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007

Mitre Fence Holder

Hi,
    found this:
    The miter fence holder for my craftsman table saw (Ryobi BT3000 clone) broke. This was no surprise because it is a thin plastic part with sharp inside corners. I was able to find a replacement part at the link below, but it seems to be going out of production and I was concerned that the part would break again. I took the opportunity to first reverse engineer the part and then improve upon the design. My new design is much more solid and hopefully should reduce the susceptibility to cracking of the original. I printed out of Monoprice PLA + and the part has been strong enough so far. https://www.ereplacementparts.com/miter-fence-holder-p-150386.html

Printed it for my BT3100 - fitted perfectly.

cheers
    Gary
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Looks great! 3D printing is great for obsolete and out of production parts! Wish I had a desire to give it a try, but I still have too many “want to do” things ahead of learning that.
    I am a little jealous of those that do 3D printing.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Excellent - this is what this additional new forum was for, to share the sources of third party machined or printed parts or DIY 3D-printable plans.

Thanks for sharing.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Is this an open source printed part?

Comment

• garymck
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2007

It's free for download

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

When I first got my BT3K, I thought there were several parts that were sort of fragile looking. Later on, I filled them with #7 1/2 shot and epoxy. The miter fence holder is solid now and weighs well over a pound.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

And of course, don't forget it is quite possible to build one entirely of wood as demonstrated years ago by Rod Kirby:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	PB232282.JPG
Views:	736
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	843272 Click image for larger version

Name:	PB232281.JPG
Views:	557
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	843273 Click image for larger version

Name:	PB232278.JPG
Views:	562
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	843274 Click image for larger version

Name:	PB232273.JPG
Views:	548
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	843275 Click image for larger version

Name:	PB232272.JPG
Views:	565
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	843276
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• MissWoodwerx
              Handtools only
              • Sep 2021

Hey LCHIEN I'm in the process of trying to create a replacement for the miter fence holder due to the negligence of not researching the saw before buying it second hand lol. But I came across a couple of your posts mentioning the version Rod Kirby had given you for safekeeping lol. Originally during the beginning of the drawing board period of this project I was figuring out: 1. If it would be efficient 2. If it would be Easier, (but mainly) 3. If I even had the skills to carve it out of one block of wood. Having came across your posts with pictures of Kirby's version I'm now under the impression that your way would be MUCH easier and actually practical. So I was wondering if possible....whenever its most convenient for you, if you could take measurements of the part as a whole? Or even better if you could tell me the measurements of each part/ piece of wood?
              I'm so very thankful for even just the pictures alone, I'm already eternally grateful. God knows how long it would have taken me had I not stumbled upon your posts. xD

MUCH appreciation,
              Cam

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I will address this shortly

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=843274&d=1615323460&type=medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	845566 Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=843273&d=1615323460&type=medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	845567
                Looking at the drawing on the right I will call these pieces Top plate, Body, and T-Bar. I hope that is sufficient.

Measurements to follow in edits later.
                The bolt is a standard ANSI 5/16-18 hex head bolt. length to come later. And the knob any hardware store has 5/16-18 threaded plastic knobs in a variety of styles, with either through holes or closed end and round knurled or 5-star (like the original) styles.

The location of the hole is somewhat important as it sets the forward and backwards position of the miter fence which is fixed by the black pivot piece on the bottom of the miter fence. Incorrectly positioned the fence will still work but the zero miter angle position reading will be off. Not a total disaster but its more convenient for the scale to be right and not have to measure and check every time.

I am in the middle of cleaning all the stuff stored under the saw (TS jigs and fences) so the Kirby miter holder is buried under all the stuff piled on top. So far I found three featherboards, tall rip fence, long and short rip fence combo, two rip fence spacer blocks, three worn out dowel cutting jigs, a 3/8 and 1/4 home made box joint jig, several other unrelated jigs, a 15 degree jig, two purchased shallow angle taper rip jigs, a box of BT3 parts and the User nut and bolt kit. The original miter fence and miter clamp, A couple of auxiliary miter fence extensions and two more pieces of miter rip fence extrusion I forgot I had. There's still a couple of jigs I have yet to look at.

I have made the measurements and made a hand sketch. I hope you can figure it out, if you have questions, ask here.
                The width is not too important, the really key thing I think is an accurate located and perfectly vertical hole for the bolt which I indicated should be 15/64ths from the face of the block that faces the miter fence. This will make the zero settings on the SMT work right. Note that this leaves a 1/16th inch wall thickness on the hole so its important it be straight and located properly. You will find the measurements in the PDF file I just attached.

How I would make this: Make the top plate and the block and then glue them together; then put the screws in it for long term strength. Rod has three screws -one hidden under the flat washer, but that seems to be overkill. Then flip it over, mark and drill the through bolt hole and drill on the drill press. Use a small drill and a starting dimple to precisely locate a pilot hole and then enlarge.
                The T-bar I would consider making it in two pieces of equal thickness and stack them. I'd consider using some 1/8" thick x 1" aluminum bar I have but I could do it from some wood. If you mill it on the table saw, work with long pieces at least 12" and then cut to length!

Loring
                Attached Files
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-28-2021, 04:51 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• MissWoodwerx
                  Handtools only
                  • Sep 2021

Wow quite a large pile to have to rummage through so I don't blame you if you have to carve out A MONTH to go through it xD but no seriously its no rush I'm fumbling my way through parting it together but with many mistakes. no shame.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I still have not made the measurements on the wooden one but here are three for sale today on eBay
                    including two original plastic ones with bolt and knob plus one machined polished aluminum replacement which I hear is nice.
                    That said a wooden one is not that hard to make.

Click image for larger version  Name:	miter fence holder.JPG Views:	0 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	845572
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-28-2021, 12:22 AM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Posted the measurements of the Kirby Miter Fence Holder in post #9 of this thread as a PDF attachments along with some more text in the post with construction suggestions.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...