• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

BT3100 Rip Fence Mounting Problem noted

About 2 or 3 years ago, there was a thread with a guy having problems with his rip fence not mounting properly. I can't find that thread now, but I did run into that same problem (at least I think it was the same problem.) I fixed it in about a minute because I knew what I did.

The earlier thread's theme was that there seemed to be a 1/16" or 1/8" too much space front to back between the rails and as a result his rip fence would not clamp on the back.

What I discovered when I had the same problem - I had two of the router tables on the right side, and needed to take one off and slide the rails to the left side by about 6 inches and leave only one router table on. When I tried to clamp the rip fence down, it wouldn't clamp. I looked at the back and L clamp would not go down into the slot. I adjusted the fence, put the L clamp into the slot and decided to complete the action by putting the front of the fence on the front rail last. It would not go.

I looked at the router table real close and noticed that it was not resting on the recessed area intended for the table/rail, but on the router table's front bottom lip. What made it "seem" that it was in the right spot is that I had locked the table in place with the lever. The lever locked, but it locked the table in the wrong place - and pushed the rails about 1/16" to 1/8" farther apart than they are supposed to be. Once I released the lever, the table was able to move into it correct place and then re-locked. The distance instantly came back to its normal spacing.

For some reason, the discussion some time ago came to mind - someone said the front and back rail were too far apart. Not totally sure if it is the same reason as I discovered, but I did create a situation that caused it for a moment/
    Last edited by leehljp; 05-08-2023, 09:56 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • jlhumbert
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2015
    • Palatka, FL
    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by leehljp
    About 2 or 3 years ago, there was a thread with a guy having problems with his rip fence not mounting properly. I can't find that thread now, but I did run into that same problem (at least I think it was the same problem.) I fixed it in about a minute because I knew what I did./
    I remembered that thread Hank. Mostly because it was so strange and also because I took, and uploaded, photos to try to help "Injuneer" diagnose the problem.

I believe this is the thread: https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...-problem-noted

I the end, if I understand his diagnosis correctly, his router table was doing the opposite as yours. His router table was pulling his rails too close together. Anyway, thanks for posting this and what the issue was. Now we have the two possibilities and resolution for both issues.

Have a great day!

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I remembered that thread Hank. Mostly because it was so strange and also because I took, and uploaded, photos to try to help "Injuneer" diagnose the problem.

I believe this is the thread: https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...-problem-noted

I the end, if I understand his diagnosis correctly, his router table was doing the opposite as yours. His router table was pulling his rails too close together. Anyway, thanks for posting this and what the issue was. Now we have the two possibilities and resolution for both issues.

Have a great day!
      [/QUOTE]

Long-time lurker, but now for my first post... Even though it rarely has ever seemed to cause an issue, I am coming to realize now that I've started getting into woodworking as more of a regular hobby than an every now and then type affair that something is genuinely amiss with the fence on my old trusty BT3000. The far end has

THANKS for the post. You are correct, his problem was the opposite of mine. I did not mention it but the locking mechanism on the bottom of the router table lever - was worn on mine from numerous times of removing and adding it back on. Worn parts make it easy to get things "sideways" .

Thanks again for your help in identifying the O P.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...