• Show
Clear All
  • furthermore
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2020
    • North Yarmouth, ME
    • Ryobi BT3K

Can I use a ZCTP as a dado plate?

Basically what it says on the tin. I treated myself (thank you tax return!) to a nice dado stack and I'd like to try it, but I don't have the actual dado throat plate. I do, however, have an extra zero clearance throat plate, since they came in a 2-pack. Am I going to cause myself great distress by blasting a dado-sized hole in a ZCTP? Is the crappy old plastic gonna gum the stack up? Am I wildly overthinking this???
  • nicer20
    Established Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Dublin, CA
    • BT3100

I am also thinking of making a couple of ZCTPs one for 1/4" dado setting and another for 3/8". So I am going to watch this thread for answers from the Gurus.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah it works. Basically you make them the same way.
      The trouble is that dadoes come in all sizes so you will need an infinite number of dado throat plates if you want to be Zero clearance all the time. Not to mention different depths

So I have the one metal one that came with the saw (I think ) and I made a plastic one that sort of fits most common. But not one that is truly Zero clearance.

I hope you got a 6-inch stack dado. I discuss the particular issues with BT3 and 8" stacks in depth in the BT3 FAQ,
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• furthermore
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2020
        • North Yarmouth, ME
        • Ryobi BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Yeah it works. Basically you make them the same way.
        The trouble is that dadoes come in all sizes so you will need an infinite number of dado throat plates if you want to be Zero clearance all the time. Not to mention different depths

So I have the one metal one that came with the saw (I think ) and I made a plastic one that sort of fits most common. But not one that is truly Zero clearance.

I hope you got a 6-inch stack dado. I discuss the particular issues with BT3 and 8" stacks in depth in the BT3 FAQ,
        I wish I'd looked at the FAQ before I bought it, but I got an 8" set. Truth be told, I've been thinking about replacing my BT3K with something else and that's sorta where my head was at with the purchase.

Comment

• GrumpyDad
          GrumpyDad commented
          Editing a comment
          I have an OEM dado plate if you are looking.
      • dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

You *CAN* use a ZCTP as a Dado throat plate, but it would kind of be, well... a waste of a perfectly good ZCTP....

I have a stack of shop made ZCTPs that came with my saw from the prior owner. If I didn't also have the dado throat plate I would have used one of them to make my Dado plate out of, but honestly, the Dado plate being metal provides better support, and you really don't need to worry so much about keeping dust under quite so much control as the dado for most of the operation kind of forces the dust into the lower blade shroud...

Yes, an 8" is NOT the right size for any 1.5HP saw. The BT3x00 being right there. I would not recommend using the 8" you got.

The Freud and Oshlun Dado stacks are both pretty good. Take my word for it and avoid the Skil Dado stack. Total pile of trash.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

An 8" dado stack will work on some BT's, and rub the housing on others. I had to grind a spot on my first BT to use the 8" dado. I did eventually burn up the motor running a mile (literally) of 1/2" dados in pine for a school project.

As far as a ZCTP for a dado, I use one on my current saw only because the stock plate was too small. It is currently whatever was the largest size dado I've run and won't replace it if I need smaller dados in the future. It's really just there so I don't have a gaping 3x12 hole around the blade.

Tangentially related, I've found that dust collection suffers with a true ZCTP since there is little air flow around the blade.
          Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Use the spare zctp as a template to cut a stack of wood plates (assuming that your other plate is in the machine) and save the plastic for a template.

Comment

• Jim Frye
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Maumee, OH, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

A long time ago, I scored a bunch of blank Ryobi ZCTPs, so over the years, I've cut several for common dado setups. The plate on the right is the factory steel dado plate which I've never used. The underside of the plastic plates have been filled with leftover epoxy from other projects. This was done to stiffen the plates. I cut the slots longer than the exposed portion of the dado stack to provide some airflow space for the stack. I use an 8" Freud Super Dado set.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	54F855A3-684C-4646-8BD3-821B147CE5CD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	123.3 KB ID:	848562
              Last edited by Jim Frye; 02-18-2022, 10:16 PM.
              Jim Frye
              The Nut in the Cellar.
              ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• furthermore
                furthermore commented
                Editing a comment
                You inspired me to try installing the dado stack that I have. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find my arbor lock wrench, and I'm not sure I ever had it to begin with. I do have a bandsaw, though, so I'm gonna try to make one out of a piece of flat stock
            • GrumpyDad
              Established Member
              • Jul 2020
              • Midwest
              • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

Jim...you amaze me. Someday I hope I can be as graceful at this hobby as you are,
              Harumpf!
              GrumpyDad

Comment

• Jim Frye
                Jim Frye commented
                Editing a comment
                Graceful, Ha! You've not seen me descend the steps down to the basement shop.
            • Jim Frye
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Maumee, OH, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

This brings back an unpleasant experience I had with these ZCTPs. I mounted a blank one to cut a slot for a new thin kerf saw blade. With the blank plate screwed in place I started the saw in preparation for slowly raising the new blade up through the plate. Unfortunately, I hadn't completely lowered the blade and it was firmly stuck in the underside of the new ZCTP. The motor spun the drive shaft, the belts didn't move and melted completely through in seconds from the friction. Stupid human trick number XXXXXX.
              Last edited by Jim Frye; 02-19-2022, 01:32 PM.
              Jim Frye
              The Nut in the Cellar.
              ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• atgcpaul
                atgcpaul commented
                Editing a comment
                Ouch! That sucks!
            Working...