• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tyson-Canuck18
    Handtools only
    • Dec 2021
    • Ontario, Canada

Contemplating Purchasing Craftsman 2741

Hi, Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but as the title says I am thinking about buying the Craftsman version of the BT3 saw. I can't find too much information on this particular model number as I guess there wasn't too many sold (per Loring Chien's FAQ). I mostly do small woodworking projects with my 1991 king contractors table saw but it has seen better days. Just looking for something that will replace it.

I posted the link for the saw. It looks like it is in good shape but 350 CAD still seems like quite a bit of money for it
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Tyson
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I found the Craftsman BT version to be a good saw. I really really liked the break down fold up against the wall cart it set on.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

It looks to be clean and well cared for, all the parts look from here to be around (stuff that often goes walkabout like rip fence, miter fence, blade guard) and he had lots of accessories like the router fence and a ZCTP. And the manual!
      Does the router come with it?

Make sure he has the arbor wrench(es).

Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
        I found the Craftsman BT version to be a good saw. I really really liked the break down fold up against the wall cart it set on.
        The one he is considering is an earlier stationary version - I think you are thinking of the 21829 https://www.sears.com/craftsman-prof...1829000P?mv=rr
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Tyson-Canuck18
          Hi, Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but as the title says I am thinking about buying the Craftsman version of the BT3 saw. I can't find too much information on this particular model number as I guess there wasn't too many sold (per Loring Chien's FAQ). I mostly do small woodworking projects with my 1991 king contractors table saw but it has seen better days. Just looking for something that will replace it.
          https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1590304124
          I posted the link for the saw. It looks like it is in good shape but 350 CAD still seems like quite a bit of money for it
          Any help would be greatly appreciated
          Thanks
          Tyson
          I don't know about Canadian money, but that saw looks to be in excellent shape, and is fairly fully equipped. I've never seen one of those, but it appears to be a sears labelled BT3100... Not sure what your local market is for used saws, that saw would likely grab between $250.00 - $300.00 U.S.D. here in Houston Metro.

At current exchange rates, the $350.00 CAD would be $273.69 USD, so it is right there in the current pricing..
          Last edited by dbhost; 12-30-2021, 11:09 AM.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Tyson-Canuck18
            Handtools only
            • Dec 2021
            • Ontario, Canada

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            It looks to be clean and well cared for, all the parts look from here to be around (stuff that often goes walkabout like rip fence, miter fence, blade guard) and he had lots of accessories like the router fence and a ZCTP. And the manual!
            Does the router come with it?

Make sure he has the arbor wrench(es).
            No it doesn't come with the router but don't need another anyway. It does look like he took care of it though.

Comment

• Tyson-Canuck18
              Handtools only
              • Dec 2021
              • Ontario, Canada

Originally posted by dbhost

I don't know about Canadian money, but that saw looks to be in excellent shape, and is fairly fully equipped. I've never seen one of those, but it appears to be a sears labelled BT3100... Not sure what your local market is for used saws, that saw would likely grab between $250.00 - $300.00 U.S.D. here in Houston Metro.

At current exchange rates, the $350.00 CAD would be $273.69 USD, so it is right there in the current pricing..

I can currently get a ridgid r4514 with the stand from the orange store for 400 bucks on sale. Not sure if that would be a better option. The dewalt and boschs are out of my price range

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Tyson-Canuck18

I can currently get a ridgid r4514 with the stand from the orange store for 400 bucks on sale. Not sure if that would be a better option. The dewalt and boschs are out of my price range
                The Rigid is a job site saw, no sliding miter table, not sure if it will suppport a Dado stack.

HOWEVER, having said that, you might consider offering the owner maybe $250.00 given that information.

I do know folks with other / older model Rigid job site saws they put on shop build workstations. They HAVE to use a router for dadoes as the saw doesn't have an arbor that will support any sort of Dado. The fence is considerably narrower than my BT even without the extended rails etc.. It's just not the same...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

When a seller posts "firm" on the price does he really mean it or is he just asking you to make a counter offer, haha.

I suppose it never hurts to ask, especially on the 7th day after its posted for sale and he still has it.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Well, I have found firm isn't always firm. Especially when presented with competing new items... but hey, if he wants to sell it he should adjust price...

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

Would this be a local pickup? If no, it’s really hard dealing with getting a saw crated up, picked up and shipped, and getting your money for the saw from the buyer.
                      I just gave away my Powermatic 64 to my son who really didn’t want or need it just to keep from having to go through showing and selling the saw. It

Comment

Working...