• Show
Clear All
  • GrumpyDad
    Established Member
    • Jul 2020
    • Midwest
    • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

Ryobi vacuum table top

A Craigslist find I had not encountered before. Ryobi table top that fits in the extended rails. Has a manifold of some sort on the bottom and holes across the surface for sanding purposes?

Was part of a treasure trove of parts I picked up. Curious looking thing
    Harumpf!
    GrumpyDad
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

One thing is that the shop vac used should have a separate fan for cooling and one for suction. As the table is closed off continuous closed suction without moving air (most shop vacs) can result in no cooling air and motor abuse. THe old and discontinued Ryobi vac, and the Fein vacs are reputed to be the ones with separate fans.

Most shop vacs are designed with the though the hose end would be open and provide adequate flow of cooling air.

Of course this was really only an issue for the downdraft use. As a flotation table, it was less of an issue since it did blow air forward instead of dead ended.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-15-2021, 09:25 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

The "air floatation table" (model number 4730320) was an accessory to be used with the wide table kit and extra leg kit. Hooked up to a Ryobi shop vac it would:
      1: mimic an air hockey table, using air blown through the top to lift large/heavy sheet goods, making it easier to maneuver them through the BT3000 saw. The air floatation table would be connected to the vacuum exhaust.
      2: when connected to a vacuum suction hose, the air would hold workpieces to the tabletop, a vacuum holding setup. I don't remember use as a downdraft sanding table being mentioned in Ryobi's flyers; I doubt the Ryobi vac had enough CFM to make this worthwhile.

The problem with these tables when new: many shipped with non-flat tabletops; typically they had a shallow depression.

mpc

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

A very interesting accessory.
        It attached to the wide table kit and table leg kit (rail and legs) to provide another 40 inches of table width for panels.
        As stated it could be used to float large panels or as a downdraft to hold panels for sanding..
        A perforated table top facilitated this.
        The table had a lever to partition the vacuum/airflow so that it hold or supported 1/4, 1/2 or the whole table width nearest the blade so you didn't waste too much air in the wrong place.
        IT was a bit thin but I think that the air cushion or suction would compensate for any sag.
        I thought it was innovative, but it did take up a lot of room,
        Here's the patent on it

I wanted one for the longest time, did a lot of reading on it. In the end I don't do that much large panel work and I didn't have the room for it. So I never got one.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-15-2021, 11:57 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• GrumpyDad
          Established Member
          • Jul 2020
          • Midwest
          • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

Thx for intel. This one is warped as well.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-15-2021, 11:55 PM.
          Harumpf!
          GrumpyDad

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            Warp implies a twist. I'll bet it just sags in the middle a bit.
        • twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I had one and it worked well as a floatation table, but not so much for clamping because mine was nowhere near flat. It eventually got tossed and replaced with a router table. I only paid $25 for it when Menards closed out their Ryobi tools after they went exclusive with Home Depot so it wasn't a big loss.
          Chr's

Comment

Working...