• Show
Clear All
  • SAABologist
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2021
    • Texas
    • Ryobi BT3000

stymied on BT300 rip fence- it won't engage the rod to clamp the back end

Hi, thanks in advance for your help. I am a new owner of an old BT3000. I bought a nice new aluminum roller holder and clamp to repair the fence. It fits perfectly with some tension on the spring-loaded rod. I checked schematics and can't see any parts that I am missiing, so I am stumped.

- My understanding is the handle pushes the eccentric roller that moves the clamper. I thought this should push on the spring-loaded rod that runs through the fence. But on my fence the clamper does not even touch the rod.

This is the issue I am having:

- The handle on the rip fence goes all the way down without pushing the rod that runs through the fence to the roller holder and clamp. It does clamp the front of the fence, but not the back because it does not push on the rod.

- I can tighten the clamp screw and make the back of the fence tight, but then the front handle of the fence is not doing anything so far as I can tell.

- The little thin plastic piece was broken, but I don't see what purpose it was supposed to have.

Thanks for any comments and pointers.
  • SAABologist
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2021
    • Texas
    • Ryobi BT3000

I guess I fixed it. I inserted two rectangular pieces of plastic as bushings that go between the rod and clamper. They are kept in place by a plastic shield that is held in by two screws. I guess this part, which is called "Plate" on the rip fence schematic (Part #969150001) was destroyed. Now I can adjust the rear roller holder clamp with fine adjustments using the screw.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

In all the years on here, it seems to me that only once has someone had a fence with the plate broke off. Now that I think about it more, maybe twice. Glad you got it fixed!

WELCOME to this forum. Join in with the conversations!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• SAABologist
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2021
        • Texas
        • Ryobi BT3000

If it's not too much trouble I would like to see a picture of that rip fence plate so I could fabricate a better one. I only tossed in two sheets of hard plastic.

Thanks, looking forward to learning.

Comment

• Black walnut
          Administrator
          • Aug 2015
          • BT3K

When I reassembled my fence after replacing the roller holder years ago I had to compress the fence with a Bessey clamp. I recall that some users needed to turn in the screw (#5) in on the clamper B (#6) a long way. However it seems that if you screw in most of the way the rear clamper might not auto release upon raising the front handle. In this case a slight push in of the screw will allow it to release.

reference http://file:///C:/Users/mark/AppData...0%20Manual.pdf

Page 44

Have you tried to order a "Plate" to replace yours that is broken/ missing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	plate1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	844500Click image for larger version

Name:	plate2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	844501
          In operation the plate allows the Clamper A to cam correctly pushing on the rod.
          just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• SAABologist
            Forum Newbie
            • Jun 2021
            • Texas
            • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks, There is some tension on the rod and back clamp when I attach the back clamp. On the front of the fence, my Plate was broken similar to what is shown in your second photo. Underneath it, I can see the rod, but there was nothing else there except the arm and the rod, and the arm would not touch the rod. So I shimmed it with the two pieces of thick plastic and keep those from falling out by putting on another plastic cover with the same screws that held the Plate. If you remove those two screws holding the Plate, what does it look like inside?

Thanks, and no worries if you don't have an image of the underside of the Plate. I'm mostly just curious about how it is supposed to be shaped.

Comment

• Black walnut
              Administrator
              • Aug 2015
              • BT3K

The plate is just "l" shaped with the vertical part tapered like \_/

Mine is not broken.

If your is broken and you use the saw without it you risk damaging the front of the front rail plus as you have found out the transfer bar doesn't work correctly.

I am guessing that if parts are not available a workable solution would be to drill and tap a hole in the Clamper-A and hang the part you still have in the top of the front block with one screw. You will need to measure carefully so the screw head clears the rail and doesn't interfere with the movement. The slides rest on the top of the rail the top of the plate where it mounts clears the rail so the fence will slide fine with it removed.If you closely look at the exploded view in the manual I linked to earlier the shape of the Plate is clear.
              just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here's Ryobi parts list and callouts for the rip fence. And pictures of plate, #11

If you make a replacement part, please detail it in the Forum section of alternative replacement parts for BT3's
                Attached Files
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-28-2021, 01:26 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SAABologist
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2021
                  • Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks very much! This is very helpful.

Comment

• SAABologist
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jun 2021
                    • Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks again, I uploaded pictures and explanation in BT3000 parts section of this forum. I really appreciate your help!

Comment

Working...