• Show
Clear All
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

BT3K motor does not sound right!!

It has been a while since I posted (or even been in the shop)!

Not sure how to explain this but it sounds as if the motor starts at higher speed and then slows down!! I noticed it last weekend, cleaned up the saw (some saw dust within the brushes) and it sounds a bit better but not consistent as I like it. It seems to be cutting OK and does not slow down under the load (at least sounds that way). Wonder if anyone has had similar experience and what else I should be looking for? The saw if from 1999 but it is well cared for.

Thanks in advance for any help, Turaj
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman
  • GrumpyDad
    Established Member
    • Jul 2020
    • Midwest
    • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

Does the sound change with a different blade? Thinking blade is warped possibly.
    Harumpf!
    GrumpyDad

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Have you tried blowing the saw motor out with some compressed air (well your post said you "cleaned" it some) to clean it of sawdust? Old saw, many years...

The other thing that comes to mind is bearings. Normally they are sealed and don't need oil lube though...
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-27-2021, 01:50 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Turaj
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • BT3000 (1998)

Thanks Guys. I did try different blades but did not notice any difference.

Loring, when you say blow the motor, how exactly do you do that? I used the shopvac to suck the dust from the opening for brushes but did not use any compressed air. Do you take the whole motor cover off or just blow air through those holes? I have never done that!

Thanks again, Turaj
        Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

How about posting a video on Youtube and linking here?

If it starts normally then slows and makes noise, I might suspect a capacitor issue. But I don't recall exactly how this motor is wired.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Carlos
            How about posting a video on Youtube and linking here?

If it starts normally then slows and makes noise, I might suspect a capacitor issue. But I don't recall exactly how this motor is wired.
            The type of motor used in the BT3 series is a Universal motor.
            They don't have capacitors for starting or running, like induction motors used in contractor table saws, so I am certain that is not the problem.
            However Universal motors do have brushes that induction motors don't have.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-27-2021, 05:15 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Turaj
              Thanks Guys. I did try different blades but did not notice any difference.

Loring, when you say blow the motor, how exactly do you do that? I used the shopvac to suck the dust from the opening for brushes but did not use any compressed air. Do you take the whole motor cover off or just blow air through those holes? I have never done that!

Thanks again, Turaj
              To be honest, I've not had to do it. I use fairly aggressive dust collection on my saw.
              But compressed air will have a lot more power than a vacuum which on a perfect day will have 15 psi of force (and real world vacs don't reach anywhere near a full vacuum) Compressed air of 90 PSI or so will do a much better job of cleaning, but the airflow direction will be opposite. Just blow air over through any ventilation slots. Don't take it apart.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-28-2021, 01:36 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Have you checked the two drive belts and pulleys for wear or deterioration?
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  Have you checked the two drive belts and pulleys for wear or deterioration?
                  Yes, I do regularly check the belts. I'll try to clean the motor by blowing air but probably won't happen until the weekend. I'll report back.

Meanwhile I am open to any other suggestions. Thanks, Turaj
                  Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• Black walnut
                    Administrator
                    • Aug 2015
                    • BT3K

We are all getting older. Have you had your hearing checked?
                    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• Turaj
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by Black walnut
                      You could be right although my wife noticed it too and she has almost Volcan hearing
                      Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Black walnut
                        Ha Ha Ha! Funny! That fits me to the "T"

I inherited a Stihl weed eater (FS36) a couple of weeks ago. I didn't even know that Stihl made weed eaters. IT had not been run in about 15 years, but being a Stihl, I decided to give it a cleanup. The needle valves were not set right. It took a bit but my hearing and memory of my hearing long ago helped me get it running sweet.

My hearing is going, but I can still distinguish between too rich and too lean in the sound pitch on 2 cycle engines!
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah, hearing a zipper of a dress going down and getting up to do something about it is a different matter as you get older, haha.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Turaj
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • BT3000 (1998)

UPDATE

Managed to open the saw again on the weekend and cleaned it again. This time took the motor cap off (never done that in 20 years!) and indeed there were saw dust inside the cap. Used vacuum and air blower (as suggested by Loring) to fully get rid of the saw dust from the motor and the cap. Put everything back together and all is normal again (well, the saw, not me ).

Interestingly enough, I always thought that I was following the maintenance instructions by Jim Frye. I checked it again on the weekend and saw that he suggests removing the cap! So why have I not done this in the past??

Thanks for all the help, Turaj
                            Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hooray! One more for the good guys.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...