• Craftsman 21829

Where was he hiding this?

Saw this on my CL - https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/t...298448964.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	ryobi NIB.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	843793
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-19-2021, 06:31 PM. Reason: I added a photo of the original CL ad since the ad will go away eventually.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

It makes you wonder doesn't it? I thought the price was way off until I saw everything in the post. It is still a little high for a new but out of warranty tools with sketchy parts availability. I'd probably still buy it, but that's just me.

I have a friend in Denver who thought woodworking would be a good hobby and bought everything he thought he'd need at Home Depot and it is all still unboxed in the back of his garage nearly two decades later. From his description "the tools are all blue except the saw which is silver and has some weird features", I believe there is a new BT3000 in the pile. I haven't been back to Denver since he told me about it all.

He decided storm chasing would be more fun and built an armored Jeep and loaded with it instruments instead.
    Chr's

Comment

• MBG
      • Apr 2003
      • Chicago, Illinois.
      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by twistsol
      It makes you wonder doesn't it? I thought the price was way off until I saw everything in the post. It is still a little high for a new but out of warranty tools with sketchy parts availability. I'd probably still buy it, but that's just me.

I have a friend in Denver who thought woodworking would be a good hobby and bought everything he thought he'd need at Home Depot and it is all still unboxed in the back of his garage nearly two decades later. From his description "the tools are all blue except the saw which is silver and has some weird features", I believe there is a new BT3000 in the pile. I haven't been back to Denver since he told me about it all.

He decided storm chasing would be more fun and built an armored Jeep and loaded with it instruments instead.

This thing has to be 20-30 years old! Brings back bad memories - I paid about $1K for my BT3000 when they were first released. Then years later $150 for a BT3100.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by MBG

This thing has to be 20-30 years old! Brings back bad memories - I paid about $1K for my BT3000 when they were first released. Then years later $150 for a BT3100.
        My stock broker calls that lowering your cost basis.

If you buy into the market too high and it drops, but you still think the stock is fundamentally sound, buy more and reduce your average cost so you make more when it goes back up. Or lose less if it stays down.

Your cost basis is now $575 in stock terms reducing your capital losses, haha.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-19-2021, 06:16 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Wow! I bought my BT3000 in February 1993 for $500 at Home Base. When the BT3100 came out, they were selling for $300 (made in China). Two to three decades sitting in a box makes me wonder what has rusted or corroded inside that cardboard carton. Wouldn't touch it sight unseen. FWIW, my old BT3000 still runs like new. Nothing has broken except the miter fence ends I've sawn through without looking first.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol

My Brother-In-Law and I got into serious woodworking about the same time. I filled my shop with benchtop tools mostly by Ryobi. He filled his with PM stationary tools and PC hand held brands. He hasn't done any woodworking for over 20 years and all of that expensive hardware is still sitting in his basement. He just announced that he's getting back into woodworking with hand tools by buying a Sojoberg workbench. I think it's an excuse to collect old planes and such.
            Last edited by Jim Frye; 04-19-2021, 06:24 PM.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...