• Show
Clear All
  • biologyben
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2007
    • WV
    • Craftsman 21829

Free Plans Shark guard

Trying to actually use my machine 18 years after buying it. I have seen numerous references to free plans for the first version of the shark guard, but all the links now go to dead websites/404 errors.

Are these plans still available anywhere?

• biologyben
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2007
    • WV
    • Craftsman 21829

I can believe I didn’t think of the internet archive sooner! Fortunately, the Leeway workshop (leestyron.com) and Sharkguard websites were well crawled and almost entirely preserved through time.

So I found the basic plans for 8.0-8.4 version as well as complete plans for the 1.0 original.

https://web.archive.org/web/20131007...uard_plans.php

Having more access to time and tools and less access to money now that I’m not employed, it’s better than nothing. And I want to be sure I can better model safe operations as now my 7 yr old daughter is joining me in the workshop most of the time (she’s making candy dispensers).

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Ah, good for you.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• nicer20
        Established Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Dublin, CA
        • BT3100

Nice.

On a related note I found some interesting videos on youtube regarding making custom ZCTPs with varying heights of riving inserts on the back of the blade. I am looking into them seriously since my stock riving knife/blade guard assembly rubs against the saw throat sometimes. I will post a link to those if anyone interested.

- NG

Comment

• jlhumbert
          jlhumbert commented
          Editing a comment
          If the videos are for the BT3XX series, sure I'd like to watch them if you can post the link(s). Thanks!

• biologyben
          biologyben commented
          Editing a comment
          For the Bt3k, might I suggest making a proper riving knife that elevates with the blade, but doe not rise above no matter what the blade height? Should function better than a basic splitter and shimming should align to the kerf/plate.

use 0.090 material stock to be compatible with most thin kerf and all standard blades or.105 for only standard blades.

Here’s the design or purchase from shark guard directly.

Last edited by biologyben; 03-14-2021, 12:43 AM.

• nicer20
          nicer20 commented
          Editing a comment
          jlhumbert No the videos are not for BT3XXX. I might have to adopt those ideas to BT3XXX style throat plate. But don't think it is that difficult.
      • morte100
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2021
        • Bellingham, WA
        • BT3100-1

Correction to the link for the riving knife plans above.

Last edited by morte100; 07-03-2021, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...