• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

BT3000 Manual and Rip Fence alignment

A few months ago, I looked through my BT3000 PDF manual looking for the rip fence alignment setting, as someone asked a question related to the rip fence. In the beginning, it seemed that that the manual referred to the locking mechanism of the rip fence and how just prior to locking the rear, it would swing into position - and this is often confusing to new users. I have done a search and a few times over the years, some new BT3X00 users had questions about the "swinging motion" of the fence. Of course those of us who were experienced in this explained it as "normal operation."

My Question is: Where is this documented in the Manual? I do not have my original manual, but it sure seems that it was described in the original manual somewhere. MY current PDF manuals do not have documentation of this anywhere - that I can find.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I bought a floor model BT3000 at The Home Depot in 1998 and it didn't come with a manual which is how I found the Original Ryobi tools forum and eventually ended up here. I asked that question on the forum then. I don't recall ever reading it in the manual Ryobi snail mailed to me. It was one of the notes I hand wrote in the back of the manual.

On the BT3000 fence alignment is on the back side of the front rail and the clamp engages on the front side of the front rail. Pulling the fence lightly back towards you would square it before locking it in place.

My dad's Shopsmith was the only other table saw I'd used previously and it is the opposite. The alignment is on the user side of the front rail and the clamp engages on the back side of the font rail so you need to push the fence to square it before you tightened the clamp. Of course by the time I got my own Shopsmith, I'd forgotten this and asked the question on the Shopsmith forum.
    Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

The BT3 FAQ describes it in some detail under the section titled "I'm having problems with the rip fence..."
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        The BT3 FAQ describes it in some detail under the section titled "I'm having problems with the rip fence..."
        So that is what my mind is thinking about! I know I read it somewhere in a "document" besides the explanations of users from eons ago. Thanks Loring!
        Hank Lee

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

In my BT3100 manual* there's nothing describing the particular movement of the rip fence when it is being locked down. Personally, I never gave it much thought because it pretty much acts like a T-square, with the front fence block being snugged against the front rail when it is pulled forward by the rear locating lever being snugged by the fence locking handle. It simply pulls the fence square against the front rail.

It always made me wonder why that should be a question, it's pretty simple to me. I guess if you've never used a T-square though, it might make one question it though.

In my manual, on page 18, 3rd indent (bulleted paragraph near the top) it describes, in conjunction with Fig. 15, how to properly install the fence and lock it in position.

On page 34, under "To check the alignment of the rip fence to the blade", in conjunction with Fig. 46, it describes fence alignment and how to adjust it.

In the trouble shooting section on page 40, in the 2nd and 3rd subjects it refers to rip fence problems and references page 34 as guidance.

But there is no reference in the manual that I could find that mentions the movement of the fence as it get locked down.

CWS

* Manual Nbr. 983000-232, dated 4-03
          Last edited by cwsmith; 02-06-2021, 12:06 PM. Reason: Word correction: two places (bold italic) the word should have been "rail", not fence.
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

It seems like this is something that may have been passed along from the old Ryobi forum.
            Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I wrote the FAQ description of the rip fence operation after listening to many conversations on the matter on the old Ryobi forums and then sitting down with it and seeing how it worked first hand. Many thanks to those who described the basics of it and led me in the right direction.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...