• Show
Clear All
  • Mpommier
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2020
    • Nevada, Mo
    • BT3000

BT3000 on casters

I know that the BT3000 had two casters on one side for moving it around (mine are missing), has anyone mounted it on four casters? I have limited space, so I have everything in casters for easy configuration.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

There are various commercially made devices called mobile bases, low profile, for putting fixed tools on to move them around without raising the height significantly. Some of them have adjustable metal frames and others you cut wood braces to size.
    One is the HTC2000 with adjustable size and four casters that can be lowered to stabilize the tools when parked and used. I have three and recommend it.
    They are available from Amazon and other places for around $70... search for HTC2000 tool base

You can also do a search on this website sawdustzone for mobile bases; lots of discussions over the years.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mobile base.JPG Views:	0 Size:	45.7 KB ID:	842118
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-13-2021, 10:15 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Also, on this site go to Articles --> Mobile. Where there is an entire section of articles an making the saw roll.
      Chr's

Comment

• Mpommier
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2020
        • Nevada, Mo
        • BT3000

Awesome, thanks for the tips.

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I mounted a third locking caster on the other end on a large angle iron where the leveling legs are. My shop is in the basement and the floor was not perfectly flat, so my premise was that the three point stance would make it more stable. It's worked fine for the last 20 years.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• nicer20
            Established Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Dublin, CA
            • BT3100

Here is my version based on the article link above. Used ball casters and the saw rolls around very easily.

(OK - I admit it's not beautiful looking but works great to move the saw around in my 2-car garage).

Comment

• atgcpaul
              atgcpaul commented
              Editing a comment
              This is the version I built for my BT3100, too. The saw is not crazy heavy and this made it very easy and convenient (and cheap) to move around my garage.
          • twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I like it. It doesn't need to be pretty to do the job.
            Chr's

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by nicer20
              Here is my version based on the article link above. Used ball casters and the saw rolls around very easily.

(OK - I admit it's not beautiful looking but works great to move the saw around in my 2-car garage).
              You used available wood, and it works - how much more beautiful do you want it to be? Looks good to me!

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• mpc
                • Feb 2005
                • Cypress, CA, USA.
                • BT3000 orig 13amp model

To the original poster: the stock BT3 did not come with wheels. The "accessory kit" included two wheels - not casters - that bolted to one side of the BT3 base. You lifted the other side up, via the fence rails, and moved the saw around somewhat like a wheelbarrow. Since those wheels weren't casters, parking the saw against a wall was a nuisance... you had to "parallel park" it like a car.

The various aftermarket bases noted by the other folks in this thread are more versatile especially if you need to store the saw along a wall. Pick one that has a weight rating well above the saw's total weight; you have to consider the weight of whatever materials you might be cutting on the saw and/or whatever stuff you'll pile on it when it's not being used! There's another current thread talking about casters and weight ratings; going with items rated for higher weight tools should provided better long-term durability.

Another idea to consider is to replace the stock base with a shop-built wooden storage box/cabinet and put double-locking casters on it. Many folks have done that... or built cabinets that fit inside the stock BT3 stand like I did. Lots of extra storage that way. And you can alter the working height to be more comfortable for your height.

mpc

Comment

• Mpommier
                  Mpommier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What material did you use to build your base? Would 2x4s be strong enough to hold the weight?
              • nicer20
                Established Member
                • Sep 2007
                • Dublin, CA
                • BT3100

Originally posted by radhak

You used available wood, and it works - how much more beautiful do you want it to be? Looks good to me!
                Thanks !

I was a little embarrassed looking at the beauty coupled with ingenuity & functionality of some of the jigs and attachments made by many of the astute veterans on this board.

- NG

Comment

• Mpommier
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2020
                  • Nevada, Mo
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by mpc
                  Another idea to consider is to replace the stock base with a shop-built wooden storage box/cabinet and put double-locking casters on it. Many folks have done that... or built cabinets that fit inside the stock BT3 stand like I did. Lots of extra storage that way. And you can alter the working height to be more comfortable for your height.
                  That's a good idea. If I'm feeling ambitious enough, I might replace the base, it's a little out of level at the moment (I haven't investigated to see why yet). I need to do something, because it's a pain in the butt to drag it around ... not to mention it's super loud.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Mpommier

... I need to do something, because it's a pain in the butt to drag it around ... not to mention it's super loud.
                    HaHa, you're suppose to turn it off before you try to move it.

(just kidding) ;-)

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...