• Show
Clear All
  • ballard770
    Established Member
    • Jan 2016
    • Washington State
    • Ryobi BT3000

New miter fence on ebay

There is a replacement miter fence on eBay that looks interesting. It is made from a narrow aluminum extrusion with a 3D holder clamp. It is missing the miter indicator tab which means using another method to set the correct angle but it may be worth looking at. It has a start price of about $45 with a buy it now price about $90. The guy bought a used bt3k without a miter fence so he designed and built one. He should get on the sawdust zone
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Here is the link:

But here is a link to the problem that some have with a broken fence clamp holder:

I like that in the second link, and a decent price.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I still have Rod Kirby's customized miter fence clamp holder made of Marine plywood .and Miter fence with custom MDF ends.
      He sent to to me for safekeeping after he sold his BT3000.
      Its relatively easy to make as the clamp simply uses a common SAE 5/16" hex head bolt and a threaded knob.. The hard part is little orange angle indicator.and the sliding pivot point. and the miter extrusion itself.
      If you could be happy with a fixed pivot point it would be much simpler.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-10-2020, 05:39 PM. Reason: it was marine plywood, not MDF
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• GrumpyDad
        GrumpyDad commented
        Editing a comment
        I look at the pictures Rod Kirby posted of the work/jigs/fixtures he made and I can only hope to have that nice of workmanship. Is he still out there somewhere?

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        GrumpyDad, Sadly, Rod Kirby passed away several years ago. I can't recall the exact year but it was noted in the forum. I did have the pleasure of meeting him here in person in Houston in about 1995 or so. Several of us (Pappy included) met and went to the Woodworking show which made its rounds around here then and his wife was at a quilting show. I did get to Melbourne eventually but sadly he was gone by then.
    • LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Actually pretty decent prices considering the miter extrusion and the cost of machining
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Thanks for the picts Loring. I had forgotten about those. I have thought about making a clamp holder many times but only when in the middle of a project. When I get through with the project, I pass by the temptation to make one. This might push me over the edge to make one, and it looks uncomplicated enough to make.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• d_meister
          Established Member
          • Feb 2009
          • La Conner, WA.
          • BT3000

Maybe a little off-topic, but it's worth a mention, here, I think.
          Years ago, I was using the rip extension accessory as a miter fence, and found it was unwieldy and unbalanced. Looking at my saw, I noticed that the original sliding rip fence extrusion had the same profile as the miter fence. It was about $20 at the time, so I bought one and swapped everything over to have a permanent longer miter fence.. Works great, especially for bridging the distance over the dual miter slot accessory. It is necessary to be more careful not to extend it into the path of the blade, though

Comment

• ballard770
            Established Member
            • Jan 2016
            • Washington State
            • Ryobi BT3000

He’s sold two, $40 and 45$. Another is listed. Looks like he’ll sell a few, especially if he gets positive eBay feedback. He’s a new lister on eBay and has no feedback yet. Innovation is interesting.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

(Loring): I did have the pleasure of meeting him (Rod Kirby) here in person in Houston in about 1995 or so. Several of us (Pappy included) met and went to the Woodworking show which made its rounds around here then and his wife was at a quilting show. I did get to Melbourne eventually but sadly he was gone by then.
              Could this have been around 2004 or 2005?

I met him in Tokyo on Oct 20, 2004 and IIRC he said that he was going with Carole to the US for some of her sewing?-crochet? hobby work and I "think" he said they would go on to Houston. I could be well off on this. It may have been that His trip to the US and the one to Tokyo could have been two separate trips.

But, I remember well that day of meeting him. It was raining hard. I left a conference (in Tokyo) at noon to meet Rod. Instead of going back to the conference, I decided to go home. It was raining hard. (It bears repeating). I didn't know a typhoon was coming in. Anyway, I went to the Shinkansen/Bullet Train and had my ticket changed to an earlier one. I left Rod about 2 PM and got on the Shinkansen about 2:30. We pulled into Nagoya about 3:30 and it was raining HARD. I changed over to a subway to go to Toyota about 25 miles away. At about the 15 mile mark, the subway became an above ground train. After we emerged from underground, the wind and rain were HARD. It was like riding in an earthquake. I called my wife and asked her to meet me at the Toyota Train station. She said "FEND FOR YOURSELF! I'M NOT GETTING OUT IN THIS MESS!" I later learned that the Bullet Train I was on - was the last one out that day due to the high winds and rain. So, I was on the last train from Tokyo to Nagoya and Osaka that day (they usually run aver 15 to 20 minutes.) The Subway/Train from Nagoya to Toyota City was the last one until about 10 PM that night; I barely got home! We had the equivalent of about 100 MPH sustained winds for about 5 hours. I did manage to get the last taxi at the train station for the 2 mile trip to our house. The taxi cost me about $40. It was worth it. (There were NO buses there).

I remember that whole day well!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010010-2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	127.4 KB ID:	840229
              Last edited by leehljp; 08-10-2020, 05:06 PM.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                LCHIEN commented
                Editing a comment
                You are probably right - it was about 2004. It could not have been 1995. I did not get my BT3000 until late 2000. Quite a memorable man. Lots of wisdom and skills.

• jlhumbert
                jlhumbert commented
                Editing a comment
                Great story! (I just saw it)
            Working...