• Show
Clear All
  • GrumpyDad
    Established Member
    • Jul 2020
    • Midwest
    • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

Finally time

Somewhere in the early 2000's I purchased the table saw I had wanted for so long. With well intention and great excitement I brought home the Ryobi BT3100 from Home Depot and spent the necessary time to put it together and make the adjustments to get it prepped and ready for adventure. Life hit me square between the eyes somewhere thereafter and the saw sat in the basement with a sheet over it, or toolbox on it, or a stack of paper, laundry, or just whatever. I had intended to do so much for so long. Tell God you have a plan and listen to the laughter.

For years as the saw sat idle and I plotted. Shop Notes magazine and Woodsmith released many tidbits that I squirreled away for later. Occasional tool buys for the "one day" were left in boxes/shrink wrap as time passed. This saw has less than 30 minutes run time. It calls to me.

This summer the boy turned 21 and left the house and consequently the space that would have been a workshop all those years ago. The Pandemic has backhandedly given me back 1.5 hours of commute every day since I am working from home. The stars have (strangely) aligned.

I am planning on spending the next few months finally building the jigs, fixtures, and shop that I have made notes about all these years. Dust collection system is this weekends project. Paulk workbench is the next stop. I have lurked here for a long time absorbing information and value your posts.

With that I would like to say THANK YOU to all of you who have posted such good information and ideas about the tool(s) and craft that you practice. Looking forward to the relaxation this hobby brings.
    Harumpf!
    GrumpyDad
  • ballard770
    Established Member
    • Jan 2016
    • Washington State
    • Ryobi BT3000

Hi Grumpy,

I have a bt3000 with a shroud/collector installed on the top of the saw stand. It is similar to what may be found on grizzly industrial web site. It take dust that fall below the saw and channels it to an exhaust port. The underside of the stand is boxed in to keep sawdust contained ro be exhausted. Outside of the box is a ‘T’ that connects to the exhaust port at the rear of the saw and then the third part of the T connects to the dust collectorn(or shop vac).

I don't have photos but I will be working in the garage today and I’ll try to get some photos that may be of interest to you and other bt3k users.

Comment

• ballard770
      Established Member
      • Jan 2016
      • Washington State
      • Ryobi BT3000

I took some photos today that are attached. I’m about ready to crash for the day so if it appears to be missing something please ask.

additionally If your saw doesn’t have the 4” casters, don’t order them on eBay as you can get 5” casters at Harbor freight for less money and 5he 5” wheels make it easier to move the saw. Or better than that, invest in a 4 wheel carriage that is much easier to move the saw in your shop. I use one from Grizzly Industrial that was about $50 or a little more but worth evert penny.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Grumpy, make sure you give your saw a tuneup, so the drylube pastewax lube on the shims and the elevation screw so those are running smoothly. The elevation lube is one of the key maintenance deals to keep your saw running right!

Here's a link to my DUst port belly pan, I've been using it for years and it really keeps the saw clean and is really a lot simpler than enclosing the stand bottom and it keeps the stand for storage.
        Took the day off, messed around the shop some. The DC bag was getting half full, I had recently hooked two 4" hoses up to my BT3000, one at the rear dust port reduced to 2.5" and the other to a belly pan I installed. Consequently the DC is sucking a lot more air and the swirl is more intense and beginning to suck

Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-25-2020, 10:41 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• GrumpyDad
          Established Member
          • Jul 2020
          • Midwest

Belly pan parts ordered today. Great idea. As for lubricant - Johnson's paste wax ?
          Harumpf!
          GrumpyDad

Comment

• ballard770
            Established Member
            • Jan 2016
            • Washington State
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Grumpy, make sure you give your saw a tuneup, so the drylube pastewax lube on the shims and the elevation screw so those are running smoothly. The elevation lube is one of the key maintenance deals to keep your saw running right!

Here's a link to my DUst port belly pan, I've been using it for years and it really keeps the saw clean and is really a lot simpler than enclosing the stand bottom and it keeps the stand for storage.
            Took the day off, messed around the shop some. The DC bag was getting half full, I had recently hooked two 4" hoses up to my BT3000, one at the rear dust port reduced to 2.5" and the other to a belly pan I installed. Consequently the DC is sucking a lot more air and the swirl is more intense and beginning to suck

I think that this setup is almost the same as mine, except mine is boxed in which is not necessary to collect dust. I think I’ll remove the particle board enclosing the lower part of the stand as it is not needed and I will get better use of the storage space without it being enclosed. The dust hood on mine is 14”*x14” although other sizes will work. I’ll probably leave the back panel on as the 4” elbow goes thru that to the “T” that is connected to the saw exhaust port and the dust collector.. In the past I have used the lower part to store the sliding miter table with the end poking out.

I got the saw from a retired navy master chief (E9 I think) so that may be the reason for the overkill.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by GrumpyDad
              Belly pan parts ordered today. Great idea. As for lubricant - Johnson's paste wax ?
              JPW for my saw since 2000... 20 years and original shims.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• GrumpyDad
                Established Member
                • Jul 2020
                • Midwest

Field stripped the saw today and cleaned/oiled/JPW all appropriate surfaces. Wow how much easier that blade raises and lowers. Lightly steel wool on the deck to remove years of basement funk. Did notice the rubber on the fence and blade mech handles getting sticky. Rubber must be degrading a bit.

Thx for the tip on JPW. That can has been sitting around here since I was 4-5 years old. Lasts forever.
                Harumpf!
                GrumpyDad

Comment

Working...