X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dutch49506
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2019

Slow/low power.

Hey, folks. You all helped me replace my BT3000's brushes last summer. This year I loaned it to a friend and it came back not getting up to speed and burning through wood. Other than making sure I'm plugged in directly to a good outlet and not using an extension cord, does anyone have any ideas for what might be wrong?

• d_meister
    Established Member
    • Feb 2009
    • La Conner, WA.
    • BT3000

Did your friend return it with the blade on backwards? Seems odd that it has enough power to burn through wood.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

D_Meister has a point about the blade possibly being reversed.

Other things that catch/drag and thus burn are riving knife/blade guard offset not adjusted right.- offset right or left.

Why don't you ask your friend what he adjusted/removed and replaced or otherwise touched if you know it was working before. Because things usually just suddenly go south on you; there's usually a reason..
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-19-2020, 10:53 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jlhumbert
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2015
        • Palatka, FL
        • Ryobi BT3000

Maybe he ruined the blade (is the blade dull?)

Comment

• Dutch49506
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2019

I just put on a new blade and checked the setup. All seems right.

New problem: Turning it on trips the circuit breaker. Taking it to my shop where there's a 20amp circuit to see what happens there.

st

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

The BT3x00 has reasonable power but it is on the edge where just a bit of extra drag can hold it back. If the blade you had on it had some resin build up, that heats up quick and acts like sticky glue, slowing it down considerably. A cleaned blade helps a lot.

Another idea, if he created that much sticky resin on the blade, that kind saw dust (as opposed to dried wood sawdust) can be sticky too and build up on the motor inlets and causing it to overheat quickly. Blow the motor out well while you are working on it.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Dutch49506
              Forum Newbie
              • Sep 2019

It ran for about 45 seconds on the 20A circuit, but it sounds wrong and doesn't seem to be up to speed. Then the breaker tripped.

Electric motor issue, I assume? Drat.

st

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Did your friend have trouble with it? Sounds almost like the motor is burned. How does it feel when you just manually rotate the blade (saw unplugged of course!), are you feeling any resistance?

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Dutch49506
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2019

Sadly, the armature is toasted. It will cost around $400 to get it fixed.

Thanks to those of you who tried to help.

st

Comment

• Jim Frye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Maumee, OH, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Bummer. $400 to fix a saw that cost $500 new. There has to be a complete BT3000 or BT3100 motor out there for sale. Wasn’t someone parting out a saw here recently?
                    Jim Frye
                    The Nut in the Cellar.
                    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I've got to say that is a tough lesson to learn... you don't lend something like a BT3100 out to anyone. I've seen too many guys who don't know how to use tools, especially saws. The BT-series is a great saw, as everyone on this forum knows, but you just can't jam stock through it like it was a big induction-motor saw. I'm not in the trades, but over the years I've witnessed more than a few guys who think a saw should cut just as fast as you can shove the stock through it. You get a "friend" who uses a saw that way and you can almost guarantee they'll destroy a BT in short order.

That may not be what happened here, but if so, it's an expensive risk helping out someone.

CWS
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Let’s start up a DO NOT EVER LOAN OUT THIS TOOL list, ( kinda like the good tool list at Harbor Freight)

The first tool I put on the never loan our list is .........
                        #1. Gasoline Pressure Washer
                        #2. Portable Table Saw

if you are ever foolish enough to loan out your gasoline pressure washer, when it comes back it never works the same. Usually the borrower has allowed it to roll around in the back of the truck or car and it has turned over several times, and the gas tank is bent or loose and the spark plug is broken off.. Then they tell you they couldn’t get it to pump much pressure, that they had trouble cranking it up and had let it run while they went to find a water hose. Duuuuuh, they have just burned the pump up.

Capncarl

Comment

• ballard770
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2016
                          • Washington State
                          • Ryobi BT3000

There 4 motors on eBay, one at $49 with no bids and the others at about $120-$170 buy it now price. That plus shipping and a few hours of your time to remove and replace. Additionally you’re without your saw for a while.

good advice to not loan a table saw.

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

If you are not in a big hurry to get it going again - about every 6 months or so, someone parts a saw out either here or on eBay. Sometimes you can get a replacement motor for a decent price.
                            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Dutch49506
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Sep 2019

I've found the Craftsman version of the saw on Craigslist for $200 that I'm considering, and I'm looking at motors online, too. Did the motor change year-to-year? Or will I be okay with any BT3000 motor?

I can get by without it for a bit (although I'll need to borrow a jobsite saw on Friday to help my dad-in-law). But you're all correct: I'm not loaning the table saw out again.

st

Comment

Working...