• Show
Clear All
  • erikburd
    Handtools only
    • Jul 2020
    • San Francisco Bay Area
    • Ryobi BT3000

Question/suggestions for a BT3000 switch replacement - new BT3000 user

New user here on this forum - I wanted to give thanks for the FAQ. It was incredibly helpful! A lot of great information in there.

I recently obtained my dad's trusty BT3000, which I got all cleaned up and ready to go, thanks to the FAQ and helpful posts.

The power switch (serial number indicates it's from 1991) is a *very* old 2-button type with the plastic insert to enable turning on the saw. This switch exhibits the infamous sticking behavior, and my dad never got it replaced during the recall period. I have some pictures here:
    I'm an avid hobby photographer who enjoys taking pictures. In my professional life, I'm a software engineer, product manager and technical lead.

I read a lot of posts about replacing the switch, and eventually reached out to Ryobi the other day. They said no more switches are available, which didn't surprise me. A couple of posts suggested using the Powertec 71006 switch on Amazon. Has anyone has any luck with this particular one on the BT3000? It seems to be sized for the BT3100 instead.

There was this switch from Rockler. Has anyone tried using this?

If anyone has a switch that has worked for them I would love to hear more about what you used.

Thanks!
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have the Rockler power switch on my Radial Arm Saw as well as my router table. They've probably been in use for 10 years or so without a single issue. I never used it on the BT3000 since I had the newer switch on mine and never had issues with the switch. The stop paddle on the Rockler switch is easy to bump in an emergency, and depending on placement is easy to bump when you don't intend to as well.
    Chr's

Comment

• erikburd
      Handtools only
      • Jul 2020
      • San Francisco Bay Area
      • Ryobi BT3000

Yeah - I was wondering how easy you could accidentally trip the Rockler switch, although it would be great for emergencies. The trick for that one is where to mount it so you can get to it easily. Given that the saw is on a saw table top my dad made, I could attach a mounting bracket or similar near the existing switch.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

My BT3100 switch is still working well, but i will attest to the Rockler switch which I use on my router table. I've had that in use since about 2008 and it has never failed me. I use a Ridgid router on my table and made my table is basically shop made from 2 x 4's with a Rockler table top. The paddle switch I keep just under the table surface on the right-front leg. At that position it's easy to press off even with my knee if necessary. It's also in an easy position to unplug from the router's cord when I'm changing out a bit... I never just trust the switch, not even on my RAS, BT or any other power tool.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...