• Show
Clear All
  • joedad
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2015
    • Yardley, PA
    • Ryobi Bt3000

On/Off Switch

I purchased a new never used bt3000. The only problem is the switch key is missing. Any thoughts on where I can buy one or what is a good replacement switch. Does anyone know what the key looks like?..Thanks
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Wow, that must be an early model BT3K. The key was a plastic frame that fit around the ON button with two prongs on the bottom corners that unlocked the ON button. The switch had quite a few contact wear/mechanical problems and Ryobi replaced it with a completely different design. Mine was replaced under warranty, so it shows you how long the original lasted. I doubt the key can be found now. The new design has a hasp like cover for the entire switch so it can be locked with a small pad lock. It also is a rocker style switch rather than the push buttons. You might try contacting the nearest Ryobi service center to see if they can still be had. The replacement switch is still working on my saw after 25 years.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• joedad
      joedad commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you I will try Ryobi
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I don't recall any BT3 switches having a removable safety key needed to operate

The earliest models (first year) had a red and green pushbuttons marked on and off and those were recalled.
    The subsequent ones had a red rocker switch with a hinged lift cover protecting it. You had to lift the cover to operate the rocker to the on position Pushing on the lift cover turned off the rocker switch.

Several of my delta tools had plastic switches that needed a safety insert to operate - without them the switch just flopped uselessly. The key insert was needed to engage the switch so you could remove it and take it away to prevent inadvertent operation. But I don't recall seeing a BT3 family tool with one of those.

Maybe Joedad could post a picture?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

The key is shown in the manual. I had to go look it up. It’s been so long I didn’t remember it and I never used it as a lock because I didn’t need to. When the key is in place, it’s not very noticeable. I even forgot the push button switche had been recalled.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Jim Frye
        The key is shown in the manual. I had to go look it up. It’s been so long I didn’t remember it and I never used it as a lock because I didn’t need to. When the key is in place, it’s not very noticeable. I even forgot the push button switche had been recalled.
        Well, OK, then I didn't even know the two-button switch had a locking cover you showed in the next post. I think that two-button switch only lasted a year or two at the most and it was replaced and recalled. The first BT3000 models, with the two-button switch, and 13 A motor came out about 1993.

I guess I was not quite correct about my switch either... the switch body is black, the cover is black with a red label PUSH TO STOP in two languages, and the rocker switch is black. The cover can be padlocked, there's a slot in the cover and a hinged metal loop that can be put through the slot in the cover and padlocked. Not strong but locks out inadvertent operations. Pretty much I operate this switch completely by feel, explaining why I haven't looked at it in ages. I use my push stick to turn it off, its so easy to hit. My model is I think late 1999.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-23-2020, 07:56 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200123_182243.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	838425
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20200123_182452.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.7 KB ID:	838426
          Took me awhile to go through some stuff. I thought I had the old switch, but I couldn't find it. Here's images from the OMs of the original and the new switches. I believe the p/n for the new switch is 961406002. Hope this helps.
          Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-23-2020, 06:54 PM.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• joedad
            joedad commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks..This helps. Now that I see the picture my current saw actually has the key in it. Now if I can find someone with a 3D printer i can probably replicate
        • Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

And here's my safer shut off switch modification

Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• HighUpInTheRockies
            Handtools only
            • Mar 2020
            • "High Up in the Rockies"
            • Ryobi BT3000

My saw was made the 37th week of 1993 and has a bad On/Off switch as well. It's a large 2 button with no key and no paddle. The switch does not energize at all. I can power up the saw by plugging in the short side wire directly to an extension cord but I don't like doing that since it's dangerous. I need to get the P/N and figure out how to get a replacement switch for mine or, a better, safer replacement. I'm all ears to good ideas.

Thanks

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

1993 was definitely the year when they used those two button switches. I think that Ryobi was giving out free replacement switches but I hear they may have run out. I would contact them anyway and see what they say.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I’ve long ago given up on the tinker toy switches on this saw. Curiously lots of other larger consumer grade tools like jointers, drill presses, belt senders etc use the same rocker switch. When the tinker toy switch finally expires I replace it with a surface mount light switch. These switches are usually available at hardware stores for about $3.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	5972BFEC-9B26-4DEB-AF61-5547F16A615F.png
Views:	410
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	839077

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
                I’ve long ago given up on the tinker toy switches on this saw. Curiously lots of other larger consumer grade tools like jointers, drill presses, belt senders etc use the same rocker switch. When the tinker toy switch finally expires I replace it with a surface mount light switch. These switches are usually available at hardware stores for about $3.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	5972BFEC-9B26-4DEB-AF61-5547F16A615F.png
Views:	410
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	839077
                Make sure its rated for 13-15 Amp motor loads.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Rated for 13-15 Amp motor load? Give me a break! If the original tinker toy rocker switch was properly rated we wouldn’t be having this discussion!

I finally wised up and changed my Craftsman bt3 over to a conventional light switch in a metal switch box within a year of its purchase, ( 8 years ago ). I hear it is still going strong. My Delta 6x48 belt sander has been on a surface mount light switch several years now, and my Delta 6” jointer’s tinker toy switch has failed and that is on my house arrest to do list.
                  I believe these surface mounted switches are rated for 10 amps. After the simple change over from the original switch, even ifs only 2-3 years later when they fail it is a simple replacement........ and the switches are sourced locally, can’t say that for the original switch.
                  capncarl

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                    Rated for 13-15 Amp motor load? Give me a break! If the original tinker toy rocker switch was properly rated we wouldn't be having this discussion!
                    The original switches are rated for the motor load, but the surface mount light switches are not:

The difference is that in a motor-rated switch the contacts are designed to take the startup current of the motor, which is typically in the range of three times the full load current. So the original switches are rated to handle a 45A surge while the light switches are not.

The practical difference is that the light switch will arc when turned on, eroding material from the contacts and potentially causing a fire. They likely will wear quickly in that application as well and are potentially very unsafe.

Of course the light switch violates NEC and UL as well.

SOME light switches are motor-rated, you would need to check the specifications for the particular switch, but the switch you used for the Craftsman might be OK.

--------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      LCHIEN commented
                      Editing a comment
                      thank you. one EE to another.
                  • JamieRI
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2020
                    • Rhode Island
                    • BT3000

Sears (remember that company?) seems to be selling the Ryobi switch:
                    https://www.searspartsdirect.com/pro...5/id-664106001
                    And being original, the UL listing is honored. Then put Jim Frye's big flap on it! https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...h-modification

Home depot has these switches that would seem to work based on electrical ratings:
                    https://www.homedepot.com/p/POWERTEC...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
                    https://www.homedepot.com/p/POWERTEC...-207185616-_-N
                    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Table-Saw...xoCjx8QAvD_BwE
                    Last edited by JamieRI; 04-16-2020, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• HighUpInTheRockies
                      Handtools only
                      • Mar 2020
                      • "High Up in the Rockies"
                      • Ryobi BT3000

I wound up going with the Rockler Safety Switch 20915 and it works great. I mounted it lower as well so it's easier to hit with my knee.

Thanks

Comment

Working...