• Show
Clear All
  • oakchas
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Jefferson City, TN, USA
    • BT3000

Making shaker doors on the tablesaw

Featuring the Ryobi 3X series.... In Fine Woodworking's Fine Homebuilding magazine, no less...

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2006/03/01/making-raised-panel-doors-on-a-tablesaw

Looks like it's from 2006... Not ALL that long ago...
    Last edited by oakchas; 03-13-2019, 07:55 PM.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I’ve used the table saw quite a bit making series of cove cuts like this when building square column shaped plant stands for florists and wedding venues. It worked well but was it ever a lot of sanding trying to make it presentable. I think I would make a taper cut rather than a cove cut to get out of sanding so much.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I made "Shaker=style" panels for the outer side panels when I built our library several years ago. Just painted pine, as it was less expensive, and perhaps most appropriately much lighter in weight than a preferred hardwood.

Like in the Fine Home Building link above, I too used my BT3100 to do the job. However, I made a jig with which to hold the panels at an angle so that the blade remained vertical. Basically, the stock would be cut to the length I needed, then clamped to the jig which would be positioned on the left side of the blade. I built a simple track into the bottom of the jig, where it would be slide between the SMT and the table. The SMT would be used to move the jig for the length of its travel, and the track would guide the movement for the few inches remaining. Worked quite well for the twenty or so panels that I cut.

Frankly, I always approach the table saw with a great amount of caution and figured a jig was the only way I was going to feed stock at such an angle while minimizing the risk of pinching at such an angle... AND, keep my fingers well away from the blade.

I have some pictures, but I can't find them at the moment, if I can't locate them by tomorrow, I'll shoot a couple more, if anyone is interested.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• tmaceroli
        Established Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Forked River, New Jersey, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

I recently made Shaker style doors for a set of built-in cabinets I made to flank our fireplace. I prefer flat panel inserts, but that's just personal preference. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

But if raised panel doors are your preference, here is a link to another way of doing it - with a router and a simple straight bit, and a jig you can build.

From StumpyNubs.com. I've been watching his videos for a while, and they are innovative, informative, and amusing. Hope this helps.

Tony

Tony

"Nothing would be done at all if a man waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault with it."
        - Cardinal Newman

Comment

Working...