• Show
Clear All
  • ballard770
    Established Member
    • Jan 2016
    • Washington State
    • Ryobi BT3000

replace belts on BT3000

I need to replace belts on my saw and I tried looking for a post I had seen a long time ago and I haven't been able to find it. There was one method where it was suggested using a piece of conduit (plastic, hard or soft, metal?) split down the middle for about an inch or so and then work the belt on the wheel, etc. When I tried replacing the belt it was a real tough task so I thought I would try to find out if anyone has a method that works.

The problem with this type of a job is that it is so infrequent that the learning curve doesn't really kick in.

It will probably end up giving me cramps in my hands after the straining and pushing.

If anyone has some hints and tricks of the trade I would be very happy.

Lee
    Anacortes, WA
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

It's in the articles section under maintenance and repair.

Chr's

Comment

• ballard770
      Established Member
      • Jan 2016
      • Washington State
      • Ryobi BT3000

Twistol, thanks for the link to the article.

I have additional questions:
      • The "spoon" tool - the text doesn't say what regular electrical conduit is and I am confused as there are many types and sizes of electrical conduit. Is there any further info on what to use for this?
      • I would think that the motor would be removed prior to replacing the belt but the instructions don't mention removing the motor. It seems that the space available might be a little tight but I can try doing it that way and save the time of removing and replacing the motor. I assume that tilting the motor to get maximum access and/or leverage would be appropriate.
      • right now I have a motor that is out of the saw so it appears that I may have to clamp it or put it in a vise.
      • step 8 and 9 state turning with a wrench, at the risk of appearing rather anal I assume the the arbor flanges and nut have been reinstalled in order to use the wrench.
      • any additional tips will be greatly appreciated

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Unfortunately, I'll be of no help. I replaced the belts on my BT3000 once about 20 years ago, long before I'd read the article myselff and all I remember was that it was a pain in the 4$$.
        Chr's

Comment

• ballard770
          Established Member
          • Jan 2016
          • Washington State
          • Ryobi BT3000

I have given the idea of using a ‘spoon’ made from a piece of conduit and I went out to my shed and found some plastic conduit about 1/2” and about 3/4’ OD and I will give it a try. I think that a metal conduit my be better as the wall thickness is less than on plastic. I have to go to a hardware store tomorrow for some deck stain @nd I #hould be @ble to buy a short piece of 1/2” metal conduit to make a “spoon”.

At first I was going to pry the belt onto the larger pulley with the ‘spoon’ but after giving it some thought I think the procedure it to pry it on the smaller pulley (shaft) at the end of the motor. I haven’t been able to spend @ny time on it but perhaps tomorrow or the next day I will give it a shot.

Comment

Working...