• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saminhillsboro
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2006

Stripped out the blade lowering/raising wheel

Hey guys,

I haven't posted in, well, I'd guess 15 years if ever! I have a BT3100 that I use infrequently and recently it's been getting harder and harder to raise/lower until now it's impossible. The wheel turns, but nothing happens. I've now read the PDF "FAQs" document and see that I probably needed to clean and wax the mechanism long ago. But since I didn't, and it was getting stiffer, I think what I've done is strip/round over the plastic shoulders of the hole in the center of the handle that are supposed to engage with the flat sides of the shaft that connects to the raise/lower mechanism.

I've looked on line many places but can't find a replacement handle available for love or money, which would be easiest. Anyone know of a source for these? Of have one they could sell? Or barring that, know of a way to maybe epoxy in a new (metal?) lug that could replace what I've stripped?

I suppose I could just put a vice-grip on there, but I'd rather not!

Also, I'll look around for step-by-step instructions on how to clean and wax the raise/lower mechanism, but if someone already knows exactly where that can be found and wants to provide the link, that would be great.

Thanks,
    Sam
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've not heard of stripping the handwheel.
    I'll bet its more likely you stripped the hole in the locker bracket that goes up and down. It has an aluminum threaded hole and a vertically running steel threaded rod that raises and lowers it.
    If you look further at my FAQ on the BT3 it describes the problem and solutions.

P.S. you might try tilting the blade bevel. If that works then the handwheel is not stripped.

If your wheel is really stripped then the OEM replacements may be hard to come by. Parted out saws here or on eBay are one source of repair parts. The handwheels from BT3100 and some sears saws also fit - see the FAQ again.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-04-2018, 05:22 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ballard770
      Established Member
      • Jan 2016
      • Washington State
      • Ryobi BT3000

I’ve been buying and parting out bt3000/bt3100 saws and recently a guy contacted me about the same thing. His plastic crank wheel had rounded. As I had more than a couple I got a deal for him at a lot less than some of the other cannibalizers are charging.

If if you go to eBay and search for crank or wheel, etc you should be able to find one probably for $10 - $15 or even make a lower offer if it is set up that way. eBay can be a good source of info and parts if you are Carefull.

i don’t have one listed at this time but I’m certain that there are others - some are plastic and some are metal which may be better. I could list one here but with eBay going I don’t want to spread myself too thin ( at 6’2” 240 pounds that would be unusual).

Lee
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

• Saminhillsboro
        Saminhillsboro commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Lee. I did go online using the link LCHIEN provided and they seem to be going for $25 on up, so if you helped someone get one for $10-$15, you are a mensch! I will lurk around and see if I can get one for $25 or less...the dude who posted the one LCHIEN shared seems to have posted then gone on vacation, but maybe I can catch him when he gets back. It is a metal one (which I think was standard for the 3000s vs. the 3100s, and I suspect that will be better. Thanks again!
    • LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

well, if it s the wheel stripped that's a whole lot easier to fix. Just buy a used handwheel
      Here;s one for sale now.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Saminhillsboro
        Saminhillsboro commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks LCHIEN! AS you can see from my post above to Lee, that link is a good find, but the dude offering is on vacation, but I'll try to catch him when he returns. Thanks again.
    • ballard770
      Established Member
      • Jan 2016
      • Washington State
      • Ryobi BT3000

Saminhillsboro,

i will I’ll try to list one, metal, for $25 or so and I will set it up for best offer. My handle on eBay is similar to the one I use here. I’m in anacortes,WA. Keep in mind that the bottom line is controlled by the shipping cost and it may be in a USPS small flat rate box. Accurate shipping cost benefit the seller and the buyer.

Comment

• Saminhillsboro
        Saminhillsboro commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be great Lee. I'll keep my eye out for it. Thanks!
    • ballard770
      Established Member
      • Jan 2016
      • Washington State
      • Ryobi BT3000

Sam,

I just posted the wheel. FYI, i sent you a PM with other contact info that i didn't want to post in an open forum.

Lee

Comment

• ballard770
        Established Member
        • Jan 2016
        • Washington State
        • Ryobi BT3000

Sam,

i posted the crank wheel with such a high price that I didn’t think anyone would buy it but as I got a full price bid with auto payment it is gone. I think I have another one I can list but right now I am working on my honey-do list.

Let it me know if you still need one.

lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

If you are patient and not in a hurry then watching eBay can be a good tactic. You can set up an e-mail alert when one comes up. Sometimes there are good prices and sometimes not.. ALso watching the for sale ads here on this forum sometimes someone parts out a saw in pieces.

BTW the history of the handwheels:
          First ones were all metal. BT3000 - these can be ID'd by the open crescents around the center cross bar
          After a year or two they went to plastic and metal - these looked pretty similar, they can be ID'd by the filled in crescents.
          The BT3100 handwheels were bright blue and yellow and some said they reminded of Playskol toys.

THe Sears variants 22811 and what not many had all metal handwheels that looked more like a machine too handwheel with three spokes.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-22-2018, 05:41 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...