• Show
Clear All
  • rmhinden
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2018
    • California San Francisco Bay Area
    • BT3000

BT3000 Replacement Switch

I have an BT300 that I purchased around 1991. The switch is getting hard to operate. I was thinking of replacing the original switch with something like a POWERTEC 71054 120V Magnetic Paddle Switch. Has anyone done this? Also, How is the current switch wired?

Thanks in advance.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Did you ever replace the original switch? Several switch designs from around that period were replaced for free under recall as they had some design defects.
    THere's some thread about it in the BT3xxx forum if you'd search for it.

If yours is that old does it have the red and green two button switch ( as opposed to the later models with the red rocker switch under the safety cover)? The two button switch was recalled.
    Some BT3100 switches were also recalled but that does not apply to you.

Contact

Wayne Hill
    Techtronic Industries North America, Inc.
    (Ryobi)
    Anderson, South Carolina
    wayne.hill@ttigroupna.com

You may wish to click and download my BT3 FAQ which is linked at the bottom of my posts like this one. It has some discussions about switch recalls, switch replacements and how to tell the age and manufacture date of your saw.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Jim Frye commented
      Editing a comment
      Wayne Hill is still with TTI? Wow, he's the guy that dragged me into being the Ryobi Tool Forum Moderator. I would have thought he'd be long gone by now.
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Switches are trivial to wire up. Not sure what you're asking with "how is it wired up" since they are all the same. Two wires in, two wires out. The switch should be marked, but on all switches the neutral (white) goes to the chrome screw and the hot (black) goes to the gold or black screw.

I have a paddle on my router table and really like it.

Comment

• rmhinden
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2018
      • BT3000

Lichen,

Thanks, I have the switch with the red and green two button switch. It still works, but is getting difficult to operate. Thanks for the pointer to your FAQ. Very helpful.

Carlos,

Yes, I was thinking of installing a paddle style switch. I too have one on my router table, I like that it very easy to turn it off. I think that is what I will do.

Comment

• rmhinden
        Forum Newbie
        • May 2018
        • BT3000

I ordered a new switch and just finished installing it. Nice improvement from my original.

Thanks!

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I got tired of dealing with a poorly designed switch. It was woefully inadequate for the application. To be polite, I will refer to this switch as a “sorry switch” It seems that this sorry switch is used in a lot of shop equipment. I have a couple of benchtop belt sanders, grinders and a jointer that use this sorry switch. I replaced the one on my BT saw with a regular household light switch. I think they are 15 amp. It took a little doing but it worked well and the friend that bought the saw reports that it still works fine. The Delta 6x48 belt sander sorry switch didn’t look as easy to convert to a recessed light switch so I installed a round surface mounted light switch over the spot where the factory sorry switch lived and died. It’s only a 10 amp switch but it has contacts that are larger than the sorry switch it replaced so I expect it will last a long time. The sorry switch on my Delta jointer recently failed and I will be replacing it with a round surface mounted light switch as soon as I can remember to do it!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	B8ECFFE7-3B17-44A6-9388-AAE6DE15DC2B.png
Views:	1199
Size:	605.3 KB
ID:	833303

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Here's the switch on my BT3K. It's the recalled rocker switch from the late 90's. A Ryobi service center shop should be able to order one of the new switchs if they don't have one in stock.

http://www.sawdustzone.org/articles/...h-modification
            Last edited by Jim Frye; 05-13-2018, 06:59 PM.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by rmhinden
              I ordered a new switch and just finished installing it. Nice improvement from my original.

Thanks!
              glad that was able to fix it for you.
              For free at that!
              I hope you find the FAQ of some use, too.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-15-2018, 02:07 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rmhinden
                Forum Newbie
                • May 2018
                • BT3000

The FAQ was helpful. Thanks!

Comment

Working...