X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JRS
    Handtools only
    • Nov 2017

BT3100-1 Broken fence

Hi Everyone Pleased to meet you all, New subscriber here, just found the SawDustZone while I was searching the web for help: I just purchased a BT3100-1 used and need to Repair or Make a new fence for it, The front Block was snapped clean off, I've found a replacement block but I've been told that the fence on these is not very good or accurate so I thought I would see if Its possible to build a DYI fence to replace it completely, Has anyone been successful in building a fence for it? any recommendations or advice ?

Thank you
    James
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Thanks for joining the forum and welcome. I've approved your post so everyone can see it.
    Frankly the fence design seems pretty good to me. Read about its unique features in the BT3 FAQ, linked at the sig line of my post, below.
    Be hard work to duplicate by DIY its function of locking down accurately at both ends. as it is it is requied to lock at iots set anfgle to compensate for the blade/motor mounting int he table as there is no blade paralleling adjustment - the rip fence (and miter fence) is set to do that.

Entire BT3000/3100 rip fence assemblies come up here and there as saws are retired and parted out.
    Look in the classifieds on this site.
    You can also look on eBay. I just looked and there are several for sale. But I am seriously surprised how much they are asking for used ones..$70 or 80 plus 20-30 shipping!. SOme time back used ones were going for 30-50 bucks. Probably get a better price on this forum..
    OTOH, the eBay listings have make an offer... you can try lowballing them. I can't believe the market is that tight.
    Or if just the front T-block is broken sometimes you can still order replacement parts - I rebuilt the backend of my rip fence. If you need help getting the P/N of the blcok or where to try ordering parts, let us know. I don't know offhand but it can be looked up.

I can suggest shopping around unless you are in a hurry. The FAQ also describes the minor differences in rip fences for the BT3100 and BT3000 - they will be for all practical purposes interchangeable. But IIRC there is some difference in the cursor for the rip scale.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-12-2017, 11:57 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Welcome to the Sawdustzone, originally a forum for BT3000 and BT3100's. I agree with what Loring wrote above.

Adding on to one part: For most people, the fence is very accurate, once understood and adjusted correctly. One aspect of the 3000/3100 is that it was a a precision saw. It does take some understanding and ability to adjust, but it is an accurate saw for most people.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JRS
        Handtools only
        • Nov 2017

Hey Thanks for the replies and the welcome! I'll look at the classifieds today when I get home,
        Thanks again
        James

Comment

Working...