• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Blade Won't Lower. Very Frustrating.

Beautiful day today with actual time in the shop. I got a lot done--BUT I ended on a sour note. I did some bevel cuts, then went to return the blade to 90. Halfway back, it just stopped. Sounds like something snapped, but I don't see anything. I somehow got it back to 90 and checked it. Now, I can got 90 to 45 with no problems. I can raise the blade with no problems, but I can't lower it. I took the panel off, looked at everything. Everything looks good, no dust buildup, bevel gears turn fine, everything turns great going up, but going down is a huge chore. Nothing looks jammed on the elevation rod/sleeve thing. I keep it lubed with parafin wax. I didn't spend a ton of time on it. I'll look at it again tomorrow. It's got to be something obvious I am missing.

Just ranting, hopefully I will get it tomorrow.
    Joe
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JoeyGee
    Beautiful day today with actual time in the shop. I got a lot done--BUT I ended on a sour note. I did some bevel cuts, then went to return the blade to 90. Halfway back, it just stopped. Sounds like something snapped, but I don't see anything. I somehow got it back to 90 and checked it. Now, I can got 90 to 45 with no problems. I can raise the blade with no problems, but I can't lower it. I took the panel off, looked at everything. Everything looks good, no dust buildup, bevel gears turn fine, everything turns great going up, but going down is a huge chore. Nothing looks jammed on the elevation rod/sleeve thing. I keep it lubed with parafin wax. I didn't spend a ton of time on it. I'll look at it again tomorrow. It's got to be something obvious I am missing.

Just ranting, hopefully I will get it tomorrow.
    BT3000 or BT3100?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

BT3100. Not a shim issue, I assume.
      Joe

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Sometimes, in a few cases the back of the splitter was rubbing the back of the clearance plate too tightly.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I had the plate off at the time.

I played with it today. Cleaned and ran some wax over the rod, blew it out, etc. It's better, but not great. It's operable. I will live with it for now.
          Joe

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Some users have reported sawdust buildup on the elevation screw. As Hank mentioned, and it sounds like this is not your problem but for the sake of other readers that might be drawn to this thread, if the riving knife is installed incorrectly it will drag on the back of the blade opening creating a condition of blade not rising or lowering. If the nut at the bottom of the elevation screw is too tight it can also cause this problem.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
              . . . If the nut at the bottom of the elevation screw is too tight it can also cause this problem.
              THAT is what was on my mind but I couldn't remember it. I haven't had this problem but I do remember several having this problem
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...