• Show
Clear All
  • spelljammer
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2012
    • Martinsville, Indiana
    • Ryobi BT3100

Finally setting up my saw!

Finally going to get to use my saw! Had it for years. My wife bought it for me from Menard's ages ago. Looking forward to getting it tuned and using it!
  • spelljammer
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2012
    • Martinsville, Indiana
    • Ryobi BT3100

It's all assembled. Still need to adjust/tune everything. I was able to get legs and wide table rails online. I also got two of the dual miter slot tables, so I can have one on each side. I wish the attachment kit for the second miter table was still available, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get it mounted true and secure. I was lucky and found the router mounting kit as well.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Wow. How long ago was that? That's like Christmas and found money wrapped up in one.

Enjoy!

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Holy sawdust, Batman! A new in the box BT3000!

Been a long time since I've seen this on the forum but......

PAINT THE RED LINE
        It is a reminder to keep your fingers and the tip of the SMT fence out of the path of the blade. Be sure to go through the adjustments step by step in order as shown in the manual as they build on each other.\

To put it another way...

Anoint thy saw with the crimson finger nail paint of the female of the species, burn incense to ward off evil spirits, and pray to the Gods of Wood to invoke their blessings!
        Last edited by Pappy; 03-20-2017, 07:11 PM.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• spelljammer
          spelljammer commented
          Editing a comment
          I really like the red line idea!!
      • cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Spelljammer,

And here I was thinking that I'm probably the only guy who had to wait just three years to open up a new tool (my Ridgid jointer and thickness planers).... and you have a, now classic, BT3000 that is still pristine out-of-the-box.

Hopefully you'll find the tune-up to be minimal and lots of great fun in it's use on future projects which we'll look forward to seeing here on the forum.

I think this is the first time I've seen a new BT3000, so thanks for posting these pictures,

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• spelljammer
          Forum Newbie
          • Jun 2012
          • Martinsville, Indiana
          • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks, guys!! Yeah, I think my wife bought this for me in 1998 or maybe 1999?? I have just not had a place for a shop in all those years! I never needed a full shop of my own, because I always had access to my shop at my work and all the tools. But I retired from there some years ago and my wife decided I should take our 24' X 32' garage as a dedicated woodworking shop! I thought that was nice!! I am looking forward to making lots of sawdust and projects. I have already learned a lot about my saw from this forum. You folks are very knowledgeable and friendly!
          -Mark Vielhaber

Comment

• Black walnut
            Administrator
            • Aug 2015
            • BT3K

Whole lot of awesomeness right there! Make sure you use something to clear the sawdust out.
            just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

The BT3 Faq should be required reading first... see the link at the bottom of my post.
              Also a Very old BT3000 the very first thing I would do is lube the vertcal running track for the elevation of the motor bracket. Theres some shims there that are the major failure element of the BT3000 but lubing them regularly takes care of it. I'd be worried that 15-16 year old original lube would have dried up.

If you look where the bracket that mounts the motor runs up and down it has copper colored thin metal shims between the bracket and the fixed frame.They ride with the moving bracket. Get some Johnson's paste wax and wax below the bracket, lower the blade and wax above the shims. Removing the blade will help you see and reach all this.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• d_meister
                d_meister commented
                Editing a comment
                Loring, The old, familiar "BT3 FAQ" signature doesn't appear here or in other posts I checked!

• spelljammer
                spelljammer commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the info and advice, Loring!
                -Mark
            • tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Holy cow... 20 years later you open it up. That's amazing.

Enjoy! My BT3100 was new to me in about 2004 and I still actively use it.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                The BT3 Faq should be required reading first... see the link at the bottom of my post.
                Also a Very old BT3000 the very first thing I would do is lube the vertcal running track for the elevation of the motor bracket. Theres some shims there that are the major failure element of the BT3000 but lubing them regularly takes care of it. I'd be worried that 15-16 year old original lube would have dried up.

If you look where the bracket that mounts the motor runs up and down it has copper colored thin metal shims between the bracket and the fixed frame.They ride with the moving bracket. Get some Johnson's paste wax and wax below the bracket, lower the blade and wax above the shims. Removing the blade will help you see and reach all this.
                Loring yours are copper colored? Mine and all the replacements I received have been stainless steel. Once I did the shim supports upgrade I've been problem free. Oh bugger I see Norm's webpage is no longer, another broken link.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Click image for larger version  Name:	sigline.JPG Views:	2 Size:	85.0 KB ID:	829786

The BT3 FAQ link appears in my Signature line as a clickable link - takes you to the post where a actual link to the FAQ is.
                  Does anyone else not see it as it appears above? Works for me everytime. The above is a screen capture from the post; you should see the signature line below with a live link.
                  Makes sure you have in your personal settings for this site, to display sig lines in posts.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-24-2017, 12:04 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
                    Pappy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I can't see it in you first post, I can in this one but it's not a clickable link.

• spelljammer
                    spelljammer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I see the BT3 FAQ link on this one, but it doesn't click for me. -Mark

• LCHIEN
                    LCHIEN commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The first is a screen capture of what I see. Then at the end of the post you should see the real sig. If you don't see it make sure that you have enabled display of sig lines in your personal settings for this forum.
                • Black walnut
                  Administrator
                  • Aug 2015
                  • BT3K

I see it.

Comment

• Black walnut
                    Administrator
                    • Aug 2015
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN

d_meister you have chosen to hide signatures. This is a user setting you will find in your control panel.

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by Black walnut

d_meister you have chosen to hide signatures. This is a user setting you will find in your control panel.
                      It must also be hidden by default, as I don't see them and I don't remember ever switching this setting.

Comment

• d_meister
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2009
                        • La Conner, WA.
                        • BT3000

Thanks, Mark, I found the setting and it took two tries to get it to stick, since I didn't see the "Save Settings" button on the top the first time. tfischer may be right that it's set by itself, somehow. I never went in there to de-select it and didn't find it easily after you posted about it. I had always seen them, over the years, then they disappeared without my being aware of it. So, that causes me to wonder if a new subscriber will automatically see the signatures and therefore have the benefit of access to Loring's fine BT3 FAQ by default. Maybe Spelljammer can tell us?

Comment

• spelljammer
                          spelljammer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I am not seeing the BT3 FAQ link either. I know I have never changed anything. Actually did not know you could. =)
                      Working...