• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

I'm not at home so I can't measure, but all standard miter gauges fit it... it's probably 3/4" and the slider board needs to be slightly undersized to slide freely.

You said you're building a sliding table, guessing you meant a sled?

Comment

• ballard770
      Established Member
      • Jan 2016
      • Washington State
      • Ryobi BT3000

In looking at the posts on this subject I am going to throw out a deviation from on the use of dual miter slot for attachments like miter sleds. I do a fair amount of picture frames for fun and profit- mostly fun and for family & friends, very little profit other than enjoyment. I have been using a Hitachi sliding miter saw but I sometimes don't like the fact that each time i set it for a 45 degree cut it may be somewhat off the mark. I just bought a used bt3000 that has two dual miter slots installed and I considered making a miter sled that is set up for 45 degrees only so that once I set the sled to make perfect corners I can replicate those corners very quickly with no resetting other than a periodic check to ensure accuracy. There are several plans available for miter sleds and I particularly like the one from The Woodsmiths Shop on PBS. I was able to download a free plan from their website but I have yet to make it.

My Deviation: As I have two SMTs I am thinking of setting up the miter sled to be mounted on two SMTs both as close to the center of the saw as possible. This way my 3/4" melamine coated plywood would be fastened to both SMTs and the surface should be rigid without the slight variation of height between the SMT and the fixed table top. That variation is not much but it seems to me that to have it perfectly level would be best. As long as both slide A and slide B are in good condition and adjustment on both SMTs it seems to me that the entire rig would move easier bringing the work to the blade. As each SMT top has two holes (~3/8") for miter pivot pin already drilled I would use those two holes with a machine screw and a nut to hold the Miter Sled to the SMT.

Has anyone tried this variation?

I would appreciate any comments - positive and/or critical both.

My 'new' BT3000 has an interesting dust collection scheme setup that i am waiting to try as soon a I can get the carts, etc with all of my wife's plants out of the garage and into the greenhouse. The top shelf that holds the saw has a large dust collection port mounted in it - about 12" X 12" with plywood taking up the rest of the space. Then there is ~2 1/2" ducting taking the flow of sawdust into the lower compartment and out the back where it connects at a 'T' with the exhaust from the rear of the saw. As soon as I am able to use the saw i will repost a new thread with comments and pictures of the setup.

Comment

Working...