• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thairiam
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2003
    • Highland, CA, USA.

bt3100 motor bracket screws frozen

Hi all, Looks like the threads on the motor bracket of my BT are stripped. Crank and gears turn freely but no movement. Also I found what appear to be fine pieces of thread in the cabinet. Anyway I can't get the four screws that connect the motor bracket to budge. Right now I have the saw on it's side for the evening, with each of the indents for the screws filled with a bit of Liquid wrench. If that doesn't work, does anyone have a suggestion for getting them out? I considered a few light taps on the screwdriver with a hammer; but that seems a bit harsh. I also considered the "warm them with a torch" approach; but on aluminum??
    Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Rich L
    Rich L.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Use a quality screwdriver that fits the screw, tap and turn at the same time. If that does not work put a wrench on the screwdriver, tap and turn. If neither works you can try a hand held impact driver, the kind you strike with a hammer. Next would be heat. If that fails then you can drill the head off, using a left hand drill, and use a vice grip to pull the remains. Last resort is to drill it out and retap.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Thairiam
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2003
      • Highland, CA, USA.

Thanks for the tips. I did manage to get three of them out using the tapping method; But the fourth one wouldn't budge. I ended up drilling the screw and trying an easy out. Now I have a frozen screw with 1/4 or so of broken easy out stuck in it. I should have know better than to expect a tiny easy out to break the screw loose.. Maybe this is an excuse to get a new saw. The Delta and Rigid at the two box stores look pretty nice.
      Rich L.

Comment

• Thairiam
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2003
        • Highland, CA, USA.

Got it out!
        Rich L.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

So, you know if the motor bracket is stripped where the elevation screw goes through it, you can get thread insert repair kits, right?
          You may want my Frequently asked questions document. Link in my signature line below.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-17-2016, 01:26 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

I seem to recall having this issue a few years ago when I had to replace my motor. In my case I was able to drill off the head, remove the stud (after separating the parts, and replace the screw.

Glad you got yours out. Did you get to the bottom of the main problem?

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              So, you know if the motor bracket is stripped where the elevation screw goes through it, you can get thread insert repair kits, right?
              You may want my Frequently asked questions document. Link in my signature line below.
              M-and-D.com has the motor bracket available for $30 plus shipping. It's easier to replace than to repair now. I know back in the early days parts were scarce and expensive.
              Brian

Comment

• krogers
                krogers commented
                Editing a comment
                Does anyone know the name or part number for the motor bracket at m-and-d.com? I am having trouble locating the replacement.
            • Thairiam
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2003
              • Highland, CA, USA.

I didn't know about a repair kit. I bought a replacement on Ereplacement for around $30.00. Finally getting the time to reassemble the saw today. New challenges are the belts and shims. ( The shims fell out during disassembly so I'll be poking around for pics on that one next.) Hopefully I'll be sawing wood by the end of the day. Thanks for the replys. And I'll be looking at your FAQ's LCHIEN. Thanks
              Rich L.

Comment

Working...