3D Printing for Discontinued SMT "A" Slide?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I had two tables, I put them in one and forgot which I put them in/on. I have used both at different times and both at the same time. Then gave one of my TS to my son-in-law in the Dallas area of Texas. I'll check and see what I have on mine. IF it is not the ones sent to me to test, then they are on the table in Texas. IIRC, the one by atgcpaul were not black, either green or blue?

Since neither of us have had problems, they have worked. My SIL has not complained or called to ask how to fix a broken slide, and he does use it regularly,
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

CWS,

I just sent you a PM.

Pappy
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Woodturner, I'm showing your message to me and 2 replies (me to you / then you to me) in my message folder. If you didn't get them let me know.

Pappy
        Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• woodturner
          woodturner commented
          Editing a comment
          I received your replies.
      • cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Pappy,

The envelope is in the mail and you should have it on Tuesday the 16th.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

CWS,

I got them yesterday. It will be a while before I can get them installed. Looks like it will take at least 2 days to untape the package!!!

Many thanks,

Pappy
          Last edited by Pappy; 06-17-2020, 11:04 AM.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• cwsmith
            cwsmith commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry about that package. I looked around for an envelope, that would be suitable and decided I needed to properly tape it. Not sure about your area but I've gotten too many packages in the last couple of months that were torn, ripped, or crumpled. Not sure what's with the Post Office, but I'm under the impression that they are loosing their more experienced people and training just sucks. My mail man of 15 years retired early, the second guy got sick, and now I see a couple different guys a week... and my mail gets delivered much later in the day, often after supper. That along with my local postal office closed and the main one being threatened. So, better safe than sorry on the packaging.

Glad you got them though and hope they work out for you. Thanks for letting me know that you received them!

CWS
        • Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Just a being sarcastic about the package. The slides look great.

Experienced guess on the late mail delivery you are having. If your new regular is out sick they are doing what is called pivoting the route. If there isn't a carrier available to run the route it gets split up between several other carriers and gets delivered after they finish their routes. I retired 6 years ago after 17 years on the same route. The route is too big even after they cut some off it and they still can't get anyone to bid on it and stay on it.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Thanks Pappy. You are most likely correct. Our mail man was really nice and I enjoyed seeing his often. Really a hard worker and very nice man all around. But they kept adding more and more to his route here on the city's west side. Then when this Covid thing broke out, John just decided it was time to retire I think. While we had him for the 14 or so years we've lived here, he had worked the area for most of his working life. He just disappeared one day and the new guy said he retired. A few weeks later, that guy disappeared and I was told he got sick, but we don't know anything beyond that. Now I get different delivery people on different days and while we used to get mail almost every day, we now get it maybe three or four times a week, and it's usually a handful.

I tell you that I don't envy anyone that job. It used to be that people were nicer and more appreciative, but the whole country seems angrier today.

CWS

Comment

• camillaleonila
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2020
              • Washington State
              • Ryobi BT3000

cwsmith I just recently became a part of the BT3k fam and sorry if this was covered already, but how come the SMT sliders are two parts instead of 1? I really like your updated design, but I'm wondering if there would be some sort of disadvantage to making them out of one piece. A lot of mine are broken so I'm looking into replacing them on my machine. Thank you!

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Here is a replacement that is kind of expensive:
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/BT3000-or-B...EAAOSwE6dfR0qU

But this is one of the complaints that we have been voicing for some time. Of the two piece, one side is readily available, but the other side is not. I don't know why.

By watching eBay, one can sometimes find a used SMT for the price of 4 of those. When the SMT and saw are working properly, it is worth it though.
                Last edited by leehljp; 11-03-2020, 06:05 PM.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by camillaleonila
                  cwsmith I'm wondering if there would be some sort of disadvantage to making them out of one piece. A lot of mine are broken so I'm looking into replacing them on my machine. Thank you!
                  When we designed and prototyped the replacement, that question came up. However, we felt the 3D printing was limited and the gap needed between the 2 faces would be problematic with a 3D printer. Support structures would need to be printed and then cleaned up after printing. The two identical pieces we ended up with seemed like the simplest solution and I think a couple people here have been using them. You just need access to a 3D printer.

Anyone want to provide a long term review?

On a personal note, this was one of the most satisfying collaborations I have ever done both professionally and personally.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by leehljp
                    Here is a replacement that is kind of expensive
                    Those replacements look OK, not great, but $14 doesn't seem bad for all new.

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

camillaleonila,

This isn't my design, the credit really belongs to 'atgcpaul', whom I had the privilege of working with. If you look back through the earlier pages of this thread you'll see the back-and-forth process we went through and I just did the final drawings.

Personally I think the design was pretty nice. Instead of developing two individually unique pieces that had to be mated together, a single design could simply be printed and by inverting one onto the other it was a match. Just one design and it fits the need without having those tiny little holes and mating pins possibly damaged. The new design made for a much easier pattern to print.

I have not had the need personally to use these yet, and I passed my samples on to another member who had a more immediate need. So it would be nice if anyone ran into a problem with them or found them to be satisfactory.

CWS
                      Last edited by cwsmith; 11-03-2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• camillaleonila
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Washington State
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Ah, it makes sense that two separate pieces is more of a production design consideration. I'm not trying to criticize your design since the OEM was two pieces as well. It seems to be just as easy to injection mold a one piece slider vs two...RYOBI.

My work actually has a 3D printer and stacked machine shop. I'm just waiting til the 3D printer is free to sneak these parts in...as well as end caps for my miter gauge since they're chipped. I was thinking of asking the machine shop to make some one piece slider prototypes out of delrin. It would be great to get some feedback on the ones y'all designed!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by camillaleonila
                          Ah, it makes sense that two separate pieces is more of a production design consideration. I'm not trying to criticize your design since the OEM was two pieces as well. It seems to be just as easy to injection mold a one piece slider vs two...RYOBI.

My work actually has a 3D printer and stacked machine shop. I'm just waiting til the 3D printer is free to sneak these parts in...as well as end caps for my miter gauge since they're chipped. I was thinking of asking the machine shop to make some one piece slider prototypes out of delrin. It would be great to get some feedback on the ones y'all designed!
                          No criticism taken. The Ryobi parts seem over complicated. I don't think it's been settled if that was for a reason or not.

Take a look at the eBay link Hank posted. I wonder if there are merits to that design over the one we came up with. If there are, it's not immediately obvious especially since it requires two unique parts versus the one universal one. I suppose with our design, some torque on the part could break off the tab since they're printed in layers, but I don't see how they'd get torqued.

Comment

• camillaleonila
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Nov 2020
                            • Washington State
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Soooo I had my work make me prototypes of turned delrin rollers. I think I still need to clean my machine up a bit cuz they keep getting snagged, but the pieces seem pretty solid!

Now to tackle the shim issue! I got a hold of 8 mil thick stainless. Can anyone point me in the direction of dimensions I need for the shims? I have yet to take apart my motor so I don't know the state of them but I would like to make my own since I have a metal brake in my workshop

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by camillaleonila; 11-06-2020, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• dirtmover
                              dirtmover commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Sometimes we're too blinkered by what manufacturers provide us to see the obvious. I came to pick up the stl file to print some sliders and left with some delrin rollers.
                          Working...