How do I remove stuck screw with stripped head ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by gerti
    Oh neat, didn't know those! Apologies to Woodturner. So how do these work, is some of the impact energy converted into a rotation or do you need to manually twist them during impact?

Thanks

Gerd
    I have had one of these so long I think it cost less than $5.00 when I got it. I have had it a good 45 years at least. And, I think I have used it 3 or 4 times in all those years. When it comes down to it, on some things, it beats WD-40! I got mine when I worked on cars and engines as a hobby and part time shade tree mechanic in the mid to late 60's. One of my first tools. I have that, one router (Sears) and a screwdriver from my early days.

Similar ones are cheaper at HF, but can't speak for the quality. Amazon has the same one above cheaper also.

Gerd, hold with a tight grip with one hand, hit the head fairly hard with a hammer, then it forces a twisting impact. About 1/8 a turn, if I remember. You can set it to force the direction either clockwise or counter clockwise. Similar principle in motion as a yankee drill, except hit with a hammer for breaking loose power.
    Last edited by leehljp; 07-04-2014, 08:20 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Spendorite
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2012

Yes, just as Woodturner and Hank Lee above explain. The impact from the hammer forces the bit to bite into the screw head while in the same instant it turns the bit either clockwise or counter clockwise which you can set either way.

Comment

Working...