Q for those that have built BT3x00 workstations.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Q for those that have built BT3x00 workstations.

This is for those like Mark and others that have built a workstation cabinet for the BT3x00 saws, particularly if you are using extended rails.

Can somebody clue me in to what the critical dimensions for designing such a cabinet would be? I am assuming the following dimensions need to be considered.

#1. Width between the rails / width of saw table. From what I have seen this makes the depth of the entire cabinet in most cases. Do I need to go a little narrow to accomodate for any sort of mounting hardware for the rails?
    #2. Height of saw from mounting surface to top of table.
    #3. Distnace from left side of saw body to wherever we want the left panel of the upper part of the cabinet to be. In my case since I want to keep the Ryobi router table piece, and the dual miter slot table, I would want to effectively brush up against the side of the router table part...

How are the extended rails mounted to the cabinets without pushing them too far apart, or pulling them in too much and interfering with fence operation?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

All good questions. I did mine by very careful measuring. For some reason lost to me now the rear needs a spacer between the rail and the top. The front can just mount flush. IIRC I used stainless shim stock to make mine perfect. If no one beats me to it I'll get you the needed dimensions this weekend.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Not a huge hurry, I am just needing some ideas for critical spacings so I can fine tune some design work I am working on... Not sure if the TS workstation is next or the Drill Press cabinet is next after I do the sheet goods cart, but I have the following shop builds left to do...

#1. Finish building and installing the drawers for the miter saw / mortiser stand / cabinet. Bigger problem is I want to change the design of the drawers and I built it in such a way to make this difficult. I did this to myself but I can figure it out too! I designed it with space for 6 drawers in 2 columns of 3, I want to eliminate the middle drawer, and make the bottom drawer double deep. I guess just leave the middle drawer out and go for it, anyway, the now to be double deep drawers will be used to hold on one side, the biscuit joiner, and my cylinders of biscuits, and most likely my buffer, bonnets, and various buffing / rubbing compounds. The other bottom drawer I was thinking about using for my framing nailer, and one or two other large, caseless tools, or maybe just the nailer and the boxes of framing nails... The upper drawers will hold spare blades for the miter saw, clamps, chisel hones etc.. for the mortiser, I also have some granite my brother in law gave me I need to cut up, and I just had a stroke of inspiration on that (half moon masonry tool for the HF multitool!) anyway, the granite will be cut up into sharpening station pieces, for 4 different grits starting at 120 and going up... So store those and the sharpening jigs there.

#2. Sheet goods / cutoffs cart. LOML is getting somewhat insistent. I worked with a guy that had built one on another forum and came up with a workable design that requires 2 sheets of plywood and 4 casters.

3D Warehouse is a website of searchable, pre-made 3D models that works seamlessly with SketchUp.

#3. Drill pres base cabinet. A removable cab that will ride on my mobile base to my drill press to hold my handheld drills, as well as bits, hole saws, jigs and misc drilling accessories.

3D Warehouse is a website of searchable, pre-made 3D models that works seamlessly with SketchUp.

#4. Lathe base storage cabinet to house my turning tools, chucks etc... and to enclose at least 2, probably 3 80lb concrete bags in the very bottom for ballast. Design still in progress. Having some difficulty deciding on the drawer layout...

#5. Table saw / Router mobile workstation. I would like to design and build this such that ALL of my table saw / router accessories, fences, jigs, bits, blades etc... store neatly inside, with an effective mobile base, and leveling feet. I have ideas, but need dimensions.

#6. HF DC "Side Flip Stand modification, with Thien Top Hat separator". We've all seen them, and I want to build one. A stand to reorient my impeller housing to eliminate the connector hose between the impeller and the inlet ring that the bags go on, with the intake pointing straight down into a Thien separator, in this case I want to build a top hat style to go on top of my 31 gallon galvanized steel trash can. Once done, this will be moved off the stand, and on to the floor, giving me room for...

#7. Above the DC / tool box storage cabinet. This will need to be VERY solidly built, and securely anchored. Remember my shop supports not just woodworking, but also auto repair and home repair. It will hold.
      --7A. 8 gallon air compressor. Put this as close as possible to the manifold etc...
      --7B. Floor jack and jack stands. The tiny, under capacity for my truck units are going to be cleaned up and sold, replaced with a Pittsburgh 4 ton floor jack.
      --7C. 6 ton jack stands.
      --7D. Ball Joint Press and adapter cup set.
      --7E. R134A Manifold Gauge set. Mostly because the friend I borrowed this from doesn't seem to want it back..
      --7F. Pulley remover / installer set.
      --7G. Radiator / cooling system pressure tester.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...