• Show
Clear All
  • niswanger
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2014
    • Round Rock, TX
    • BT3000

Blade Adjusting Handle...

I might need a replacement, how is this one http://www.ereplacementparts.com/bla...-p-149475.html vs. say a machined AL one like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-BT3000...item2588862ac1

My thinking is if your shims are working correctly there's no need to a solid AL version.

Thanks,
    Roy
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Is the Ryobi one metal or plastic? The plastic one on my BT31x has always felt horribly wimpy, but it has never failed yet...
    Last edited by tfischer; 03-20-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• niswanger
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2014
      • Round Rock, TX
      • BT3000

Pretty sure it's plastic...so wondering if that "alt" one I posted (grey plastic) is good?

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • BT3100

Originally posted by niswanger
        Pretty sure it's plastic...so wondering if that "alt" one I posted (grey plastic) is good?
        Probably similar to what came with the BT3100. Flimsy, but I haven't heard of an epidemic of them breaking.

Note that the aluminum wheel doesn't come with the handle, and the 31 handle isn't compatible (the 30 is)

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

that aluminum handle is pricey but cool looking... the plastic one well, is plasticky. At least it looks better than the BT3100 one - which looks like something from Playskool.

There really hasn't been a whole lot of problems mentioned for the plastic handles.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            that aluminum handle is pricey but cool looking... the plastic one well, is plasticky. At least it looks better than the BT3100 one - which looks like something from Playskool.

There really hasn't been a whole lot of problems mentioned for the plastic handles.
            Never understood why Ryobi went with that color scheme on virtually all their tools in the mid 2000's. Really made them look cheap, especially sitting next to the Rigids and Dewalts at the Orange Box.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

it's unfortunate for us that Ryobi used a nonstandard handwheel shaft and mount. Its an odd diameter 7/16ths and has odd flats on the end that match no other off-the-shelf handwheel for power tools.

Then gave us a plastic wheel. Actually the original BT3000s had metal wheels but they changed it to plastic after a couple of years. Then they made it really ugly for the BT3100. I think the gray plastic ones are from the Sears version.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                it's unfortunate for us that Ryobi used a nonstandard handwheel shaft and mount. Its an odd diameter 7/16ths and has odd flats on the end that match no other off-the-shelf handwheel for power tools.
                I looked at the other items from the ebay seller who was selling the aluminum handwheel linked above and noticed he also sold this. This supposedly adapts it so you can use a more common wheel type:

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by tfischer
                  I looked at the other items from the ebay seller who was selling the aluminum handwheel linked above and noticed he also sold this. This supposedly adapts it so you can use a more common wheel type:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-BT3000...item258702626b
                  I bought one of those adapters, it's nicely made. I have a 1/2" shaft wheel I bought a while back I intend to replace my Ryobi handwheel one one day...

See this thread
                  This section is for <b><i><u>individual forum members</b></i></u> to post items for sale or listings for items wanted. Any and all commercial ads will be deleted without warning. Additionally, any off-topic posts like purchase gloats will also be deleted. This section will not be archived.

and this onel
                  This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-21-2014, 12:41 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...