• Show
Clear All
  • Fred K
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2010
    • Oregon
    • Ryobl, BT3000

Using a dado saws with the BT3

I had some dado saws from another table saw. I was wondering if I can use them on the BT3? Anyone try this? If so what type of dado did you use?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

yes, the saw works OK with sso-called stack dados with some caveats. The explanation is lengthy, you can find it in my BT3 FAQ or, you can find it recapped jf you search though the threads here using the search terms dado ...

try this one
    This forum is the place to ask questions about getting started in woodworking. Topics like "what tools should I buy" and "what is the best project for a new woodworker" belong here. The phrase "this may be a stupid question" is not allowed here as there are no stupid questions.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Fred K
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2010
      • Oregon
      • Ryobl, BT3000

Thanks for the info on dado's. Sorry I did not find all of the info-just a newbie on this site.

Another question. When using a stacked dado, do you have to remove the washers that are on each side of the saw blade so you have enough room for the stack on the saw shaft?

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

you should leave the blade washers.
        What you need to take off is the arbor spacers (1/4" and 1/2" wide) as necessary to make room for the dado stack.This will keep the left side of the blade about where the left side of a normal blade is and move the right side of the stack closer to the motor.
        If you have an 6" stack dado you can put all 13/16ths stack on, if you have an 8" stack I recommend you don't put more than 5/8" on - the reasons are in the BT3 FAQ (read my sig line below).
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I've used an 8 inch but it doesn't really fit right. A 6 inch works well. I use a stacked dado (the least expensive Freud) whenever necessary. I have a wobble dado and would use it if it wasn't so hard to adjust the width of. Other than needing to use a 6 inch diameter set, I don't see any problem with a dado cutter on the BT3100.

Jim

Comment

• durango dude
            • Mar 2011
            • a thousand or so feet above insanity
            • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I have a dado stack and a craftsman wobbler.

I don't typically go beyond 3/4" with the stack. I rarely use the wobbler, since it's a complete pain to install (arbor is fine ---- the dust cover gets in the way).

I've cut a 3/4" zero clearance plate, and it works okay.

I've been turning to my router to cut dados, though. It's way faster than playing around with blade switches.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Because of the blade speed you need to make sure the dado blades are rated fast enough. Many users have had great results with Freud 6" stacks.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...