X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CurtisZM
    Handtools only
    • Jun 2009

Router Accessory Table

I've noticed 99% of the talks are about the table saw but there is little or no discussion about the router accessory table. Anyone find the router accessory table useful or is it better to purchase a separate one. If you have used it, is there any tips or tricks you could provide? Thanks.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Welcome to BT3Central CurtisZM! Once upon a time when the saw was still on the market the router table had plenty of discussion. It makes a fine router table for most routing short of spinning big or large diameter bits such as panel raising bits. The router mounting kit was nearly worthless except for the t-nuts and router table clamp that attaches the accessory table to the rear rail by way of a stamped steel clip, t-nut, and studded knob. Before adding my wide table kit, first version of mine I used a router in the accessory table for a number of projects.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Fred K
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2010
      • Oregon
      • Ryobl, BT3000

I have one on my BT3 with a Roybi router mounted in it. I used all of the Roybi stuff to get it mounted on the saw. So far I have not used it much. I have tried it out but still have not done a project with it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Welcome to the forum.

there's a section in my BT3 FAQ discussing the router options for the BT3's
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

I have a dedicated router table with a Hitachi M12V router in it for heavy work but also keep an older Craftsman 1/4" router mounted in the BT3 table. For smaller jobs it is easier to set up than getting the big router table out. I have also found times that I needed to use 2 different profiles on the same project.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
            • May 2003
            • Orlando, FL, USA.
            • BT3000

CurtisZM -

The router accessory is my only router table. It's not as handy and versatile as a dedicated table, but it has worked well for me.

Be sure to secure the accessory table to the rear rail with the Table Clamping Bracket that is included in the mounting kit.

I use a 1/4" fixed base and a 1/2" M12v plunge. It's easy to drill the mounting plate to accept mounting screws for most routers. Make sure that you drill the holes so that you will be able to reach the controls. I remove the router when I'm finished using.

I don't use the fence attachment. I clamp a simple wood fence to the accessory table. I hot glued some small wood spacers under the table and use 6" bar clamps to hold the fence. Micro-adjust the fence by tapping it with a hammer. (as in the "Router Workshop")

I have a 12" MDF insert between the table of my BT3000 and the accessory table. < CLICK > Insert I clamp my wooden fence on the right side of the of the accessory table and position the workpiece on the MDF insert. I stand at the infeed side of the saw. Make sure that the accessory table is flat with the insert.

PROS -
            + takes no extra floor space
            + cheap

CONS -
            + takes a few minutes to set up
            + small work surface when the fence is on the table saw side of the router
            + less accessible when the fence is on the right side of the accessory table.
            + difficult to use dust collection
            + no frills

- Lonnie
            OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• CurtisZM
              Handtools only
              • Jun 2009

Thank you for all your responses. Sounds like it is better to have a separate table. Too bad incra does work... http://www.incra.com/product_tscombo.htm

Comment

Working...