• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

yep, I've got 2 dead silver maples I've been taking down little by little. I don't have a bandsaw so I've been ripping everything down on the tablesaw, (after flattening and
    squaring with power and hand tools). No bandsaw, a short 6" jointer and a planer that can only do 6" tall, drawknife and a highly cambered No6 Stanley. Milling 12"+ diameter logs has been a challenge. There's bigger stuff still to be taken down from the trees.

My 24T Olshun I got from Holbren is ok, kinda dull now though. I hope this forrest will be the ticket. I sure am glad they weren't oak trees. I don't think my 21829 could take it.
    Erik

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by pelligrini
      yep, I've got 2 dead silver maples I've been taking down little by little. I don't have a bandsaw so I've been ripping everything down on the tablesaw, (after flattening and
      squaring with power and hand tools). No bandsaw, a short 6" jointer and a planer that can only do 6" tall, drawknife and a highly cambered No6 Stanley. Milling 12"+ diameter logs has been a challenge. There's bigger stuff still to be taken down from the trees.

My 24T Olshun I got from Holbren is ok, kinda dull now though. I hope this forrest will be the ticket. I sure am glad they weren't oak trees. I don't think my 21829 could take it.
      Well, you know, not too long ago that cutting was done with a handsaw.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

I've been on the lookout for a one man rip saw. Also been trying to figure out how to incorporate a spring or springboard with a two man saw. A few of those bigger logs of mine had the rips finished with a handsaw. My elbow still hurts just thinking about it.

I've been roughing out a couple sides with the chainsaw lately, then getting 'em closer to square and flat with the drawknife and handplane. I don't like eating all the sawdust, but it sure does save a lot of effort.
        Erik

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Have you tried the Forrest 20T ATB/Raker?

When MBG mentioned the prices I was checking them out on Woodcraft and remembered I had some gift cards. This is on the truck for delivery today.
          Not yet....a little spendy for me for a 20T blade. I do have a 20T Amana Tool RB1020, and have used several 24T rippers, as well as some 30T rippers.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Knottscott
            Not yet....a little spendy for me for a 20T blade. I do have a 20T Amana Tool RB1020, and have used several 24T rippers, as well as some 30T rippers.
            Yea, it probably wasn't the best use of my gift card funds, but I couldn't think of anything I really wanted otherwise. I had been sitting on one since December. Our local Woodcraft moved to a location that I probably won't frequent much at all. I could always find something when I walked into that place.

I've been very pleased with the 40T and the 30T WWIIs that I have.
            Erik

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Have you tried the Amana 710200?

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

...I've been very pleased with the 40T and the 30T WWIIs that I have.
                You've got a nice matched set going! Add the 48T version to complete your 4 blade WWII set!

Originally posted by cabinetman
                Have you tried the Amana 710200?
                Haven't tried a 710200. What I've got is actually the 610200 (recommended by Lonnie Bird) ...when I ordered it, it was listed as an "RB1020" on the website, and they told me it was the same except that it uses copper silencer plugs instead of the cooling slots, an doesn't have the anti-kickback fingers. The 610200 is a standard 1/8" kerf (0.125")....it appears that the 710200 has an extra wide kerf of 0.150"....more like the Ridge Carbide rip blade.

It looks just like the 710200:
                Last edited by Knottscott; 07-13-2013, 03:07 PM.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

You've got a nice matched set going! Add the 48T version to complete your set!
                  That's the one I wanted, but I only had $90 on the gift cards. I haven't seen anyone write about it yet either.
                  Erik

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

That's the one I wanted, but I only had $90 on the gift cards. I haven't seen anyone write about it yet either.
                    I honestly believe that Forrest introduced that 48T version to compete better with the Freud Fusion and Infinity Super General. Those two blades both have a 30° Hi-ATB grind and a double side grind....they were kicking butt in direct comparisons in most cuts except for thicker materials. In theory, the 48T should offer pretty much the same strengths and weakness as the Super General and Fusion, which is exceptional crosscuts, ply cuts, and very polished rip cuts for a 40T blade, but with a bit more tendency to burn in thicker rips.

Comment

Working...