Fixed the shim problem. Lost some parts in the process...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinwheel
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2013

Fixed the shim problem. Lost some parts in the process...

Hi all!

First time poster. I have a BT3000 that I bought used about 3 years ago. I'm not a woodworker but needed a small table saw to work on a boat rebuild project. I've been very happy with the saw but even when I bought it it had a shim problem. Hard to move.

Last Spring I pulled it apart and took the advice of members of this forum and did a shim fix. One shim was completely bent/torn. I noted LCHIEN's advice to make shims using brass which I did. Put everything back together per instructions and it worked smoothly!

That's the good part. The bad part is that I managed to lose (read: apparently throw them in the trash during a complete clean/organization of my new shed...) all the hardware that holds the blade on the arbor. Everything.

So, my question to the members is this: does anyone have a source for these? I've checked Ebay and done internet searching. I haven't been successful but that just could be me. Are there non-Ryobi parts that might be used?

Anyway, I'm hoping that I'll have some luck here otherwise I'll have a nice parts machine for folks.

Best,
    Dave
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

there are five parts I can think of that are related to holding the blade on the arbor.
    There's two spacers, 1 is 1/4" and the other I think 1/2" that go on the arbor before theblade, and then there's two washers with the internal flats, one on either side of the blade, and then there's the arbor nut.

5/8" arbor is pretty much standard on all US market 10" saws.

The 5/8" arbor nut is a standard 12 tpi thread pitch and ACME threads. But it's a left handed thread and used on most all right-tilting table saws. I'm not sure but that the washers are also common to most table saws. The Ryobi washers have flats to match the flats on the arbor to rprevent rotation of the arbor washers. I've seen some washers that don't use flats. I think in a pinch the flats are not required.
    If its just the arbor nut then you can get one at most hardware stores. Like Ace. You'd be surprised (or not) how many arbor nuts get dropped and lost in shops. If its the other washers, you might try a tool repair center for spare parts.

Sears also has them.
    We carry millions of appliance parts, snow blower, lawn & garden replacement parts, water filters and more. No matter where you bought it, Sears Parts Direct has the right parts.

items 82, 83, 84 and 4

you might also look at this thread: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/28970
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-07-2013, 12:54 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pinwheel
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2013

LCHIEN,

Thanks much! That's twice your advice and information has saved me. I kept searching for BT3000 arbor instead of a blade washer which I found at a place called eReplacment. The Sears items that you had listed by the part numbers in the manual were all available with the exception of the washers. The Sears parts have been ordered as well.

As a bit of laniappe, I have a large amount of 0.008" brass shim stock available. If any list member would like to have some just PM me and I can cut some up and slip it in an envelope. There's enough to make shims for the next 50 years...

Best,
      Dave

Comment

• greenacres2
        • Dec 2011
        • La Porte, IN
        • Ryobi BT3000

ereplacementparts has all available as well, but the 1/2" spacer looks to be on back order. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ryo...7954_7955.html

There's a guy on e-bay from Leo, IN that has a lot more than what he puts on e-bay. His name is something like Jim Cherry I think, but I don't know his e-bay ID. Probably worth a phone call to him. Good guy.

earl

Comment

Working...