X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lochlin
    Handtools only
    • Apr 2013

another newbie question

just picked up this Ryobi bt 3000 and am just starting to look at it. I found it very hard to raise and lower the blade. Is there a book /manual that tells you how to maintain and what to look for when adjusting the saw and any general information concerning the saw. This particular saw was hardly used and used on extremely light materials
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Yes, but there is also virtual reams of info in our archives. Be sure also to check out the "articles" section and change your settings to see all articles.

Look for a post from Lchien and follow the instructions in his signature line to get his compiled BT3 FAQ.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• scmhogg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3000

Welcome....Send a PM to Loring aka LCHIEN with your email and he will send you his FAQ. It covers many many subjects.

Your problem may be the infamous shims on the 3000. There will be info there and other places on the forum. This is correctable and parts are still available.

Steve
      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Welcome! I'm glad you found that saw and this site.

Wow, is it just me, or is there a wave of new members with newly acquired BT3's? This is awesome.
        Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by lochlin
          just picked up this Ryobi bt 3000 and am just starting to look at it. I found it very hard to raise and lower the blade. Is there a book /manual that tells you how to maintain and what to look for when adjusting the saw and any general information concerning the saw. This particular saw was hardly used and used on extremely light materials
          first thing before you damage the shims is to dry-lube the vertical ways on which the motor elevation bracket rides. Use johnson's paste wax.

lots of info here and in my FAQ
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            first thing before you damage the shims is to dry-lube the vertical ways on which the motor elevation bracket rides. Use johnson's paste wax.

lots of info here and in my FAQ
            Be sure to clean it all before lubricating, especially the crown gears. Most of the time a good cleaning and some wax will make everything move smoothly again.
            Erik

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I find it easier to rub candle wax on the rubbing surfaces. Spray lube will work but attracts dust so it doesn't work as well. The need for this periodic cleaning and lubrication are one of the few serious drawbacks to our saws.

Jim

Comment

• lochlin
                Handtools only
                • Apr 2013

Many Thanks

Boy there are some quick responses. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with me about this type of saw. Before last week I'd neither seen nor heard of this saw but I saw the router area and the mitre table and figured it was kinda cool so I sprung $50 for it Looks like a good purchase! Again thank you. I look forward to participating on this board with you folks

Comment

Working...