• Show
Clear All
  • akronee
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2011
    • Denver, CO
    • Craftsman 315.228110

Need to change the blade....

on my Craftsman 315.228110 but my arbor wrench is nowhere to be found. I stuck a screwdriver down there and got it changed but I need to replace the wrench for a regular solution. Found where to buy the wrench at searspartsdirect, but shipping is a little much. I figure I can just build my own, but I can't get my caliper jaws down on the arbor. Anyway, can someone who has a 315.228110 measure the inside and outside dimensions of their wrench, or if someone knows off the top of their head what these dimensions are, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

the arbor nut wrench is 3/4" The nuts for the riving knife are 1/2". ANy open end or closed end box wrench will do. an box end 12-point with an offset is ideal for those.

The arbor lock wrench I don't remember offhand but it has to be very thin and narrow to fit behind the blade into the given slot and almost requires the wrench that comes with the Ryobis (or Craftsman).

Using one of those blade grabber tools, you can get the blade off with just the 3/4" box wrench, if you start and tighten the nut by hand when using the blade grabber, then you mau be able to tighten it up with the 3/4" wrench, too.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-14-2013, 03:32 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

The arbor lock wrench is also 3/4"

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jdon
        The arbor lock wrench is also 3/4"
        that's probably right but the other trick is that the outside must also be a certain dimension as well as the overall thickness. At least to wrok right.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Tappet wrenches come in most sizes, and are very thin.

Comment

• akronee
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2011
            • Denver, CO
            • Craftsman 315.228110

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            that's probably right but the other trick is that the outside must also be a certain dimension as well as the overall thickness. At least to wrok right.
            yeah, so if the inside diameter is 3/4, what's the outside dimension of the wrench? I have some .080 steel stock that I thought I could cut a tool out of.

Comment

• bodier62
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2011
              • Carrollton, TX
              • Ryobi BT3100

outside dimension

outside dimension is 1.25"

Comment

• akronee
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2011
                • Denver, CO
                • Craftsman 315.228110

Thanks so much!

Comment

• woodyb
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Apr 2012

I have always just used the throat plate behind the blade to hold the blade still while I use the wrench to loosen it.

then to tighten, I use the wrench on the nut and let it move down until it is against the table and then just pull on the blade carefully to tighten it.

works just perfect. the blade will be tight enough but you do have to be careful not to slip and cut yourself on the blade.

robert

Comment

Working...